Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - Updated: 12:43 pm
Bishop David Zubik’s “Bridging the Gap” column in the Pittsburgh Catholic received a first-place award June 21 at the 2019 Catholic Media Conference in St. Petersburg, Florida. The newspaper received five other awards at the gathering, which is held annually by the Catholic Press Association of the United States and Canada.
The bishop’s 2018 columns were recognized in the “best column by an archbishop/bishop” category, which requires three articles in an entry. The dates and topics of the columns are: March 23, “A parable from Toys R Us,” about gun control; Sept. 7, “Your servant, David, is listening,” on the church’s response to the Pennsylvania grand jury report; and Nov. 2, “Where were you when ...,” on the deadly attack on the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood.
The additional Pittsburgh Catholic content that received awards in the 2018 competition are:
• Second place, best regular column/general commentary, Robert Lockwood, June 1, Oct. 12 and Nov. 16.
• Third place, best weekly diocesan newspaper, circulation 25,001 or more, three successive issues of April 27, May 4 and May 11.
• Third place, best front page, broadsheet, the same three issues of April 27, May 4 and May 11.
• Third place, best media kit, which is used for reaching out to potential advertisers.
• Honorable mention, best essay, diocesan magazines, Pittsburgh Catholic Magazine, Christmas Traditions 2018, “Mary of Nazareth, the ultimate risk-taker,” by Stephanie Landsem.
“Even though we don’t strive to win awards, it’s always special to have your work recognized for excellence by your peers throughout the Catholic press,” said William Cone, editor.
Established in 1911, the Catholic Press Association consists of publishers and communication professionals at nearly 225 member publications, websites and social media outlets. Print publications in the association reach nearly 10 million households, plus countless others through websites and social media.
All winners at the Catholic Media Conference receive an award certificate, are listed in the association’s newspaper, The Catholic Journalist, and can be viewed on the award portal of the CPA website, https://www.catholicpress.org/page/PriorWinners.