Friday, May 31, 2019 - Updated: 2:05 pm
The following festival was missing from the Parish Festival Guide, published in the May 10 issue. Complete listing can be viewed at www.pittsburghcatholic.org.
Flea market, Saturday, July 20, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., festival, Thursday-Saturday, July 25-27, 6-10 p.m., 7 Chalfonte Ave. Attractions include Kids’ Kingdom, games, bingo, flea market, basket raffle, Oasis and more. Dinners: Thursday, ham, green beans, haluski, roll, scalloped potatoes, cole slaw; Friday, fish, macaroni and cheese, applesauce, cole slaw; Saturday, chicken Marsala or picata, side of pasta and sauce, green salad, bread. Refreshment stands featuring funnel cakes, bakery and more. Disc jockey will provide entertainment nightly, with karaoke Friday.
Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Trevor Williams will discuss “Competing Well and Not Losing Your Faith” at a Theology on Tap gathering, hosted by Oakland Young Adult Ministry. Program begins at 7 p.m. Monday, June 3, at McFadden’s, 211 North Shore Drive on Pittsburgh’s North Side. Suggested donation is $5.
ST. BASIL REUNION
St. Basil Catholic High School Class of 1969 is planning a 50th class reunion Saturday, July 6, at Salvatore’s Party Center, 5001 Curry Road in Whitehall. For questions or to register, e-mail Joe Belliotti at email@example.com or Rosemary Holmes Henk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadlines is June 6.
Addiction from a women’s perspective will be examined during a talk by Carol Haley-Smith at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 9, at the John Paul I Center, 201 Ninth St. in Sharpsburg. Talk is part of speaker series offered by the Addiction Recovery Ministry of the diocese. For information, visit www.addictionrecoveryministrypittsburgh.org.
The Catholic Community of Hampton/Richland is sponsoring a pilgrimage to St. Anthony Chapel in Pittsburgh’s Troy Hill neighborhood on Monday, June 17. Day begins at 10 a.m. with Mass at St. Catherine of Sweden Parish in Hampton Township. Bus will then take group for guided tour of relics, which is second largest collection in the world. Cost is $25 for adults, $15 for children (ages 17 and younger), and includes round-trip bus transportation, lunch at Grant’s Bar and tour. For reservations, call 412-486-6001 or e-mail email@example.com. Registration deadline is June 10.
AND TEAM BUILDING
Children entering preschool through sixth grade in fall 2019 are invited to participate in a kids’ summer activity and team-building day Wednesday, June 12, from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on the K-8 campus of Blessed Francis Seelos Academy in Wexford. Designed and led by Andrew Ohm, day will include activities, sports and hands-on learning centered on the values of stewardship, faith, compassion and leadership. Program is divided by groups: pre-4 through kindergarten; grades 1-3; grades 4-6. Children should bring a lunch. Cost is $35 per child, with family maximum of $90, with $10 additional to extend day to 5 p.m. For questions, call 1-216-244-5668 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. To register, visit www.tinyurl.com/ForeKids2019.
An “Independence for All” education program will be held in the John Paul I Center of St. Juan Diego Parish in Sharpsburg on Friday, June 14, at 11 a.m. This free program is geared for people with disabilities, senior adults and their caregivers, and will include question-and-answer session. To register, call Christian Home Health Care at 412-323-0203, ext. 6112.
HOLY SPIRIT NOVENA
The annual Holy Spirit Novena will be prayed in the motherhouse Chapel of the Sisters of the Holy Spirit in West View from Friday, May 31 through Saturday, June 8., at 7 p.m., except for closing on June 8, which begins at 4 p.m. with Bishop David Zubik as presider. Format includes hymn exposition, prayer, reading, talk and Benediction. Schedule of speakers: May 31, Spiritan Father Daniel Walsh; June 1, Father James Kunkel; June 2, Father Michael Maranowski; June 3, Father John Marcucci; June 4, Franciscan Friar Father Bernard Tickerhoof; June 5, Father Robert Guay, vicar; June 6, Spiritan Father William Christy; June 7, Father Edwin Wichman.
• St. Margaret, Green Tree: Wednesday-Saturday, June 5-8, 6-10 p.m. (6-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday), 310 Mansfield Ave. Attractions include Ferris wheel, instant bingo, dunk tanks, $10,000 cash raffle and more. Food menu features deep-fried candy bars, funnel cakes, Philly cheesesteak, chicken tenders, hand-cut french fries, fresh-squeezed lemonade and more. Disc jockey nightly.
• St. Maurice, Forest Hills: Wednesday-Saturday, June 5-8, 7-10 p.m. (7-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday), with dinners starting earlier, 2001 Ardmore Blvd. Attractions include bingo, white elephant sale, kids’ area and more. Dinners: Wednesday, starting at 5:30 p.m., food trucks; Thursday and Friday, starting at 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, immediately following 4 p.m. Mass. Special fast-food items available starting at 6:30 p.m. Entertainment: Wednesday, 6 p.m. Good Shepherd Handbells, 7 p.m. Woodland Hills High School Performing Arts, 8:15 p.m. East End Kids; Thursday, 7 p.m. Ansambl Hrvatski Dom (Croatian dance group), 7:30 p.m. Shovlin Academy of Irish Dance, 8:15 p.m. The Deep Roots Band; Friday, 7 p.m. Lorraine Busch Dance Centre, 8:15 p.m. Soul Searchers; Saturday, 7 p.m. Amie’s Dance Academy, 8:15 p.m. Burlap Road Band. For information, visit www.stmauriceparish.org/festival.
• Sunday, June 9: Our Lady of Joy/Knights of Columbus summer golf outing, The Links at Spring Church, 3257 Balsiger Road in Apollo. Outing begins at 1 p.m. Cost is $65 per golfer, and includes round of golf and buffet dinner. Proceeds benefit Knights of Columbus charities at Our Lady of Joy Parish in Plum. To register, call Bob Pembrooke at 724-733-1753 or visit www.opvcatholic.org.
• Saturday, June 15: Blessed Trinity Academy inaugural golf outing, Pittsburgh North Golf Club, 300 Bakerstown Road, Bakerstown, with shotgun start at 1:30 p.m. Cost is $100 per golfer, with proceeds benefiting Blessed Trinity Academy in Glenshaw. To register, call 724-759-0438.
• Saturday, June 15: Pittsburgh Irish Festival golf outing, Rolling Fields Golf Course, 4138 Hankey Church Road, Murrysville. Shotgun start is 1 p.m. Cost is $75, and includes 18 holes of golf, followed by Irish dinner, drinks and live music by Mike and Johnny Gallagher, Mike Flaherty and Terry Griffith. Proceeds benefit rebuilding efforts from the devastating 2018 floods that forced partial cancellation of festival. To register, visit www.pghirishfest.org.
• Sunday, June 30: Vagabond Missions golf and dinner fundraiser, 2000 Quicksilver Road, Midland. Schedule: 8:30 a.m. Mass (optional); 9:15 a.m. registration and range open; 11 a.m. shotgun start; 4 p.m. cash bar/silent auction; 5 p.m. dinner. Cost is $150 per person, $600 for foursome and $60 for dinner only. Proceeds benefit Vagabond Missions scholarship program for inner-city kids to attend retreats, camps and mission trips. To register and for information, call Kate Lesnefsky at 1-740-275-6389, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.vagabondmissions.com.