Advent 2018 will begin on December 2, the first Sunday of the Advent Season. This beginning comes with an invitation for you to take a spiritual journey:
The following is a listing of Advent services, programs and events submitted to the Pittsburgh Catholic by parishes and other Catholic institutions throughout the diocese. Parishes will welcome those seeking the sacrament of reconciliation during “The Light is On for You!” Wednesday, Dec. 11, from 6-9 p.m. For information, visit www.diopitt.org/events/the-light-is-on-for-you.
St. Alexis, Wexford
• Ecumenical Thanksgiving service, Tuesday, Nov. 20, 7 p.m.
• “Lessons and Carols,” Friday, Nov. 30, 7 p.m., featuring choirs of St. Alexis and St. Alphonsus parishes.
• Advent penance service, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m.
All Saints, Etna
• Pizza with St. Nick, Saturday, Dec. 1, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., parish's activity building. Cost is $5 per person. To register, call 412-781-5183 or e-mail email@example.com. Registration deadline is Nov. 27.
• Christmas musical production, “The Promise,” Friday and Saturday, Dec. 14 and 15, 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 16, 3:30 p.m., parish's activity building. Presented by parish's youth theater. Suggested donation is $7 per person, $30 per family. For information, call 412-781-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Aloysius, Reserve Township
• Annual Christmas train display, Nov. 24 through Jan. 13. Hours are Saturdays, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and Sundays, noon-4 p.m. Sponsored by parish's Christian Mothers-Women's Guild, admission is free, with good-will offering accepted.
• St. Nicholas celebration and train show, Sunday, Dec. 9, noon-3 p.m. Featuring activities for all ages and refreshments, including crafts, food, cookie decorating and visit from Santa Claus. For reservations, text Russ at 412-600-7771.
Parishes of St. Angela Merici in White Oak, Corpus Christi and St. Patrick in McKeesport, St. Robert Bellarmine, East McKeesport
• Annual ethnic Christmas Eve dinner, 3 p.m., Corpus Christi Parish hall. Guests will enjoy several courses of ethnic foods served home-style, including mushroom soup, fish, pierogies, stuffed shells, Colcannon, blaukraut, Noodle Kugel, paska break and more. Tickets are $10 each (cash, or check made payable to Corpus Christi Parish). Deadline for reservations is Sunday, Dec. 2. For tickets and information, call Joan at 412-678-0487 or Joanne at 412-678-7192.
• Supper with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 8, 5-7 p.m., Mary of Nazareth School, 1640 Fawcett Ave., White Oak. For information, call 412-672-2360.
• Concert, with East Winds Symphonic Band and the Mon-Yough Chorale, Sunday, Dec. 9, 3:30 p.m., St. Angela Merici Parish. Admission is free, with good-will offering accepted. Reception will follow in parish's Father Drap Hall.
• Reconciliation service, Monday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., St. Patrick Parish.
St. Anne, Castle Shannon, and St. Winifred, Mount Lebanon
• Little Rock Scripture study, “The Infancy Narratives of Jesus,” Mondays, Nov. 19-Dec. 10, choose between day or evening session, 10-11:30 a.m. or 6:30-8 p.m., St. Anne Church. Cost is $15; ask a friend and they can come free. For information and to register, call Jim Hanna at 412-531-5964.
• Choral concert, featuring season anthems and carols performed by choirs of St. Anne and St. Winifred parishes, Sunday, Dec. 9, 3 p.m., St. Winifred Parish, Mount Lebanon.
• Reading with festive reception, in celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Benedict Hall of St. Winifred Parish. Hosted by St. Winifred Book Club, celebration will include a reading by Father Richard Infante from his short story, “Fields of Grace,” set in Mexico City at the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Short story is in Father Infante's book, “Last Priest Standing,” and is about two priests, an uncle and nephew on pilgrimage in Mexico, who resolve tensions between them while on spiritual journey. Program is free and open to the public.
• Speaker, Sister Mary Gianna will present “From None to Nun,” Thursday, Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m. She will tell her story of surviving the tragedy at Columbine High School in 1999, and how she came to believe in God and take up the life of a religious sister. Free and open to the public, with good-will offering accepted.
• Advent family day, Saturday, Dec. 8, following 4 p.m. Mass, in school.
• “Lessons and Carols,” Sunday, Dec. 9, 3 p.m., featuring adult and children choirs, along with brass ensemble.
• Eucharistic adoration, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 3-6 p.m.
Parishes of St. Barbara and Holy Child, Bridgeville and St. Mary, Cecil Township
• Family Advent preparation night, Monday, Nov. 26, 6:30 p.m., St. Barbara Parish hall. Families can come share and create in-home activities to mark the season.
• “Breakfast in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 1, 9 a.m., Religious Education building of Holy Child Parish in Bridgeville. Children ages 3-8 can come dressed as favorite Nativity character. Registration deadline is Nov. 27. To register, call 412-221-6514 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Pop-up shop, Saturday, Dec. 1, 3-7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 2, 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., St. Barbara Parish hall. Includes food, drinks and shopping. LuLaRoe merchandise at least 50 percent off. All proceeds help fund youth group mission trips.
• Young adult Christmas party, for ages 21 and older, Thursday, Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m., rectory house of Holy Child Parish. Includes food, drinks, games and talk on the Nativity by Father Alek Schrenk.
• Advent parish mission, with Father Christopher Mannerino, Sunday, Dec. 9, Monday, Dec. 10, and Wednesday, Dec. 12, dinner served at 6:30 p.m. Locations: Dec. 9, St. Mary, Cecil; Dec. 10, St. Barbara, Bridgeville; Dec. 12, Holy Child, Bridgeville.
• Christmas carol sing-a-long, Sunday, Dec. 16, 6 p.m., St. Barbara Parish hall.
• “Lessons and Carols,” Thursday, Dec. 20, 7 p.m., Holy Child Parish. Service of readings, song and candlelights.
St. Catherine of Siena, Crescent
• Penance service, for “The Light is On for You!,” Tuesday, Dec. 11, 6-9 p.m.
Parishes of St. Catherine of Sweden, Hampton Township, and St. Richard, Richland Township
• 10th annual, “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 8, 6-8 p.m., Farmer Hall of St. Catherine of Sweden Parish. Children and parents can come enjoy games, stories, crafts, live Nativity and celebrate a birthday party for baby Jesus. Tickets are $6 per child, and free for adults with donation of baby item for Lifeline of Southwestern Pennsylvania. For tickets, visit www.stcatherineofsweden.org or call office at 412-486-6001.
• Advent confessions, with multiple priests, Tuesday, Dec. 18, 6 p.m., St. Richard Parish.
Catholic Community of the East End of Pittsburgh, including St. Bede in Point Breeze, St. Charles Lwanga, East End, and St. James, Wilkinsburg
• Day of reflection, “Finding Signs of Hope this Advent,” Saturday, Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m., chapel of St. James Parish. Featuring small and large group discussion during day, and concluding with prayer service and lighting candle in Advent wreath. Participants are invited to attend Mass at 4 p.m. For information and to register, visit www.cceepgh.org.
• Advent Taize service, Sunday, Dec. 2, 3 p.m., St. James Parish. A service of prayer, song and reflection. For information, call 412-241-1392 or visit www.cceepgh.org.
Parishes of St. Clare of Assisi in Clairton, St. Thomas A Becket in Jefferson Hills, St. Elizabeth of Hungary in Pleasant Hills, and Holy Spirit in West Mifflin
• Choir concert, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2 p.m., St. Elizabeth of Hungary Parish, Pleasant Hills. Featuring the combined choirs of the parishes.
Parishes of St. Bernard, Mount Lebanon, and Our Lady of Grace, Scott Township
• Confessions, Tuesdays and Thursdays after 8 a.m. Mass, 4-5 p.m., 7-7:30 p.m., St. Bernard; Saturdays, noon-1 p.m., Our Lady of Grace.
• Eucharistic adoration, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m., St. Bernard, Mount Lebanon; last Wednesday of month following 9 a.m. Mass through 8 p.m., Our Lady of Grace.
• For information, visit www.stbernardchurchpgh.org or www.olgscott.org.
Epiphany Academy, Beechview
• Advent evening of reflection, Sunday, Dec. 2, 7-8:30 p.m. Special evening of music, prayer, silence and song. For information and to register, call 412-341-7494 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Holiday fair-trade sale, featuring Ten Thousand Villages, Saturday, Dec. 1, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sale includes hand-crafted fair-trade items, as well as baked goods, card and book sale. For information, call 412-341-7494.
Holy Trinity, Robinson Township
• Advent parish mission, “Hope and Healing,” presented by Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ Sisters Bernadette and Mary Gianna, Monday-Tuesday, Dec. 3-4. Mass celebrated at 6:30 p.m. nightly, with talks beginning at 7 p.m. Mission is aimed at restoring and refreshing your faith. Registration is appreciated. To register, visit www.holytrinityrobinson.org. For questions, e-mail Erin Stuvek at email@example.com.
Holy Wisdom, North Side
• Advent Scripture series, with Father Lawrence DiNardo, Sundays of Advent, Dec. 2, 9, 16 and 23, 10:30 a.m., archives room at St. Boniface Church.
• Mass with anointing of the sick, Saturday, Dec. 15, 2 p.m. (confession at 1 p.m.), St. Boniface Church.
Incarnation of the Lord, Observatory Hill/Perry North
• Eucharistic adoration, Sundays, Dec. 2-30, 2-4 p.m.
Parishes of St. James, Sewickley, and St. Mary, Aleppo Township
All at St. James:
• Light Up Night pasta feast, Friday, Nov. 30, 4:30-7 p.m., cafeteria or gathering space of St. James Parish in Sewickley. Authentic Italian menu includes: classic angel hair and meatballs in red sauce, $12; angel hair in red sauce, $10; chicken parmigiana and angel hair, $13; all meals include salad, dinner roll and beverage, with desserts available for $1 donation. Kids' meal is $5 for ages 6-12 and free for kids 5 and under. Ticket entitles guest to limited reserved Sewickley Light Up Night parking. Tickets are available at both St. James and St. Mary Parishes, or available at door for an extra $2.
• “A Christmas Concert: Music for McGuire,” Sunday, Dec. 2, 6:30 p.m. This 50-minute concert is free, with good-will offering accepted for McGuire Memorial Home of New Brighton. Pre-concert at 6 p.m., featuring Quaker Valley School musicians under direction of Chris Burg. Reception following concert. Concert is underwritten by Sam and Judy Spanos. For information, call 412-741-6650.
• “Come, Let Us Adore Him,” time for prayer and adoration of Jesus in Blessed Sacrament, Monday through Friday, Dec. 3-21, following 9 a.m. Mass through 7 p.m., children's chapel of St. James Parish.
• Annual Christmas concert, Sunday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m. The combined music ministries of St. James Parish will present a Christmas concert with orchestral accompaniment. Performing will be parish choir, “The Bells” of St. James and children's choir, with piano accompaniment. For information, call 412-741-6650.
SS. John and Paul, Franklin Park/Marshall Township
• Eucharistic adoration, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Dec. 4, 6, 11, 13, 18 and 20, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m., parish's grotto chapel.
• Choral concert, Sunday, Dec. 9, 5 p.m., with Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra, along with SS. John and Paul adult and children's choirs.
• Live Nativity, Friday, Dec. 14, 6:30 p.m.
• Lectio divina (scriptural readings, meditations and prayer), every Sunday, 9:45-10:50 a.m., parish's multipurpose room in lower level of church.
St. Joseph, Coraopolis
• St. Lucy celebration, Saturday, Dec. 1, following 5:30 p.m. Mass. Public is invited to come to lighting of parish Christmas tree and memorial luminaria, followed by train display and serving of hot chocolate and refreshments in school cafeteria.
• “Christmas Wonderland,” Sunday, Dec. 9, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., St. Joseph School cafeteria. Includes crafts and games, as well as pancake breakfast that also includes scrambled eggs, sausage and beverages, followed by visit from Santa Claus. Cost is $5 for adults, and free for children ages 12 and under.
St. Juan Diego, Sharpsburg
• Free Christmas concert, featuring Pine Creek Community Band, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2 p.m., St. Mary Church of St. Juan Diego Parish.
St. Margaret of Scotland, Green Tree
• Holy Spirit Sister Teresa Baldi will present “Hail Mary: A Presentation About our Blessed Mother,” Monday, Dec. 3, 7 p.m., school cafeteria. Light refreshments served. Registration not required. For information, call Karen Maurer at 412-921-0745.
• Advent potluck dinner, Saturday, Dec. 8, 6 p.m. Ham and beverages provided; guests should bring side dishes and desserts. For reservations (required), call Karen at 412-921-0745.
• “Cookies with Santa,” Sunday, Dec. 9, following 10:30 a.m. Mass, school cafeteria.
St. Margaret Mary, Moon Township
• Advent play, “In Search of Christ Child,” written by Bob Summers, Sunday, Dec. 2, 5 p.m. Free and open to the public, with good-will offering accepted.
• Advent penance service, Monday, Dec. 3, 6:30 p.m.
• “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 8, 6-8 p.m., church hall. Families can visit through the tent town of Bethlehem to prepare for the celebration of Jesus' birth. Visit “Mary's Kitchen” for Jesus' birthday cake, then go to “3 Kings Corner” and “Bethlehem Game Center.” Also listen to stories in “Book Barn,” and take a chance at candy cane pull for special prizes. Guests can conclude evening by following star to live Nativity. Event sold out last year. For tickets, call CCD office at 412-264-9368.
Martina Spiritual Renewal Center, West View
• Advent evening of reflection, Thursday, Dec. 6, 5-9 p.m. Cost is $20 with dinner, $10 for arrival after 6 p.m. Call 412-931-9766 or visit www.martinacenter.com.
St. Mary of the Assumption, Glenshaw
• Eucharistic adoration and vespers, Sunday, Nov. 25, noon, with vespers at 5 p.m.
• Holy hour, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 7 p.m.
• Breakfast, “On the Road to Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 8, 10:45-11:30 a.m. To register, call 412-486-5521.
• Advent communal reconciliation service, Tuesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m.
St. Maurice, Forest Hills
• Lessons and carols, 7 p.m., church.
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 8, 8:30-10 a.m., parish's Keane Hall. Cost is $7 per person in advance, $9 for adults and $8 for kids at the door, and free for kids 8 and under. Tickets available at East Catholic School in Forest Hills, or parish center office.
• “Preparing the Way,” Parts I and II, Sundays, Dec. 9 and 16, 11 a.m., Parlor and Lawrence Room in parish center. Adult program also on Fridays, Dec. 14 and 21, 10 a.m. Presented by parish's adult education committee, this two-part series will present two of Bishop Robert Barron's popular lessons: St. Francis of Assisi and “Happy are We: The Lesson of Jesus” (on the Beatitudes). During Sunday session, there will be Advent activities for children. To register, contact Cheryl Kirkland at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-351-6710.
• Advent trivia night, “Becoming Confidently Catholic,” Saturday, Dec. 15, 5 p.m., parish center. To register, contact Cheryl Kirkland at 412-351-6710 or e-mail email@example.com.
Most Holy Name of Jesus, Troy Hill
• Christmas cookie walk and soup sale, Saturday, Dec. 15, 9 a.m.-noon, school hall, 1515 Tinsbury St. Homemade cookies are $15 for approximately five dozen, and homemade soup is $6 per quart.
National Institute of Newman Studies, Oakland
• Advent morning of reflection, “The Great Antiphons, The Heralds of Christmas,” Saturday, Dec. 1, 9 a.m.-noon, 211 N. Dithridge St., Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood. Program will reflect on great O Antiphons of Advent through the lens of Blessed John Henry Newman's spiritual writings. Also includes attending Mass together and complimentary lunch. For information, visit www.newmanstudies.org.
Parishes of Oakmont, Plum and Verona
At St. Irenaeus, Oakmont:
• 38th annual carol walk, Sunday, Dec. 9, 6 p.m. Attendees will walk to four churches in Oakmont to hear host choirs in celebration of lessons and carols. Program begins at St. Irenaeus, then proceeds to St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Oakmont United Methodist Church and concludes at Oakmont Presbyterian Church. Social will follow in last church.
• Blessing of Christ Child figure from family Nativity sets, Sunday, Dec. 23, following 11 a.m. Mass.
At St. John the Baptist, Plum:
• St. John the Baptist School children will participate in Plum Borough's Light Up Night, Saturday, Nov. 29, 5:30-9 p.m., Plum Park.
• Santa brunch, Sunday, Dec. 2, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., school cafeteria.
• Advent vespers, Sundays, Dec. 2, 9, 16 and 23, 7 p.m.
• 24-hour Eucharistic adoration, 9:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 7, through 8:45 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8.
• School Advent Mass, followed by children's Christmas concert, Friday, Dec. 21, 9 a.m.
At St. Joseph, Verona:
• Christmas giving tree, Nov. 24-25, tags can be taken from tree, with suggested gift idea. Gifts should be returned by Dec. 9-10.
• Evening of prayer, “Longing,” Wednesdays, Dec. 5, 12 and 19, 3-4 p.m. or 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Penance service, Tuesday, Dec. 18, 6:30 p.m.
At Our Lady of Joy, Holiday Park (Plum):
• DVD presentation, “Science Tests Faith — Following the Trail of the Blood of Christ,” Thursday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m., parish's Father Marchukonis Hall. Intriguing and extraordinary scientific findings are presented in detail by compelling and thought-provoking witnesses to their faith.
• Christmas concert, with all five parish choirs, Thursday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m., with reception to follow.
• Children's Christmas party, Saturday, Dec. 9, 2 p.m.
• Penance service, Thursday, Dec. 20, 6:30 p.m.
Parishes of St. Gabriel in Whitehall, St. Germaine in Bethel Park, Nativity in South Park, and St. Valentine in Bethel Park
• Christmas concert, Sunday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m., at St. Germaine Church. An evening of prayer, praise and Advent music, featuring the choirs of the four parishes.
• Funny fundraiser, Saturday, Dec. 8, doors open at 5 p.m., dinner at 6:30 p.m., show at 7:30 p.m., Frawley Hall of St. Valentine Parish. Sponsored by parish's Women's Guild, cost is $25 per person and includes buffet dinner, desserts and show. Guests can bring their own bottle and mixers. Must be 21 and older to attend. Reserved seating for groups of eight or more expected, with list of names due at time of purchase. Reservation deadline is Dec. 1. For tickets, call Rita at 412-608-2939 or Joyce at 412-303-9435.
St. Patrick-St. Stanislaus, Strip District
• Candlelight Mass, solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, Saturday, Dec. 7, 8 p.m. (confessions and music start at 7 p.m.), fellowship will follow. For information, visit www.facebook.com/beholdpittsburgh.
St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland
• Festival of Carols and Praise, Sunday, Dec. 9, 2:30-4:30 p.m. Public is invited to join in song with the choirs of the diocese, under the direction of Kevin Mauer. Bishop David Zubik and Father Levi Hartle will lead. Also featuring praise band of Holy Apostles Parish. Program includes adoration, holiday carols and reflection. A light reception will follow. For information, call 412-818-3226 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 5:30 p.m. Eucharistic adoration, followed by confessions, rosary at 6:30 p.m. and Mass at 7 p.m.
St. Paul of the Cross Retreat Center, South Side
• Advent day of reflection, “Stop, Look, Listen!” Wednesday, Dec. 5, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Presented by Capuchin Father Scott Seethaler. Cost is $30, and includes lunch. Call 412-381-7676.
• “Reflection on the Promises of Advent: A Quiet Day of Reflection in Preparation for Christmas,” Wednesday, Dec. 12 (feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe), 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Presented by Passionist Fathers Gerald Laba and Junesh Xavier. Cost is $30, and includes lunch. Call 412-381-7676.
St. Philip, Crafton/Ingram
At St. Philip campus in Crafton, unless otherwise indicated.
• Journey to Bethlehem, evening of prayer and activities for families, Monday, Dec. 3, 6:30 p.m.
• Advent Taize prayer, special prayer and praise in Taize tradition, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 7 p.m., Ascension campus.
• Coffee, tea and theology breakfast, Thursday, Dec. 6, 8:30 a.m., Ascension campus. Public is invited to enjoy a hot breakfast, along with prayer and special guest speaker.
• “Be Born in Us Today: Praying the Scriptures in Advent and Christmas,” Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Ascension campus. An evening of prayer, music and sacred Scripture.
• Advent penance service, with multiple priests available for confession, Monday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m.
• Santaland Village Railroad display, Conner Hall of Ascension Church, 114 Berry St., Ingram. This elaborate train display was built and designed by Nicholas Archacki. Display is free and open to the public, with donations accepted to benefit the Crafton-Ingram food bank and St. Vincent de Paul Society. Hours of operation: 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., and 5:30-9 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 9, Saturday, Dec. 15, Sunday, Dec. 16, Saturday, Dec. 22, Saturday, Dec. 29, and Sunday, Dec. 30; 5-8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 20, Wednesday, Dec. 26, Thursday, Dec. 27; 5:30-9 p.m., Fridays, Dec. 21 and 28; 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 23.
Sacred Heart, Shadyside
• Advent church tour Sunday, Dec. 2, 1-3 p.m. Docents will be stationed at various locations in church to point out significant storyteller stained-glass windows, reveal facts and tales portrayed in stone and wood carvings and share history depicted in murals. For information, call Ann Massey at 412-362-7324.
• Musical, “In Search of the Christ Child,” Sunday, Dec. 9, 4-5 p.m. Youth and adults from St. Margaret Mary Parish in Moon Township will present a musical reflection written and directed by Bob Summers. Show is free and open to the public, with good-will offering accepted. Reception will follow in auditorium. For information, call 412-661-0187, ext. 117.
St. Sebastian, Ross Township
• Eucharistic exposition and Benediction, Sundays, Dec. 2, 9 and 16 following 10 a.m. Mass, through Benediction at 4:30 p.m. On Sunday, Dec. 9, FIRE praise and worship with Eucharistic adoration at 6 p.m. (following 5 p.m. Mass).
SS. Simon and Jude, Scott Township
• Christmas light spectacular, Saturday, Nov. 24 through Jan. 13. This spectacular display of more than 3,600 RGM Christmas lights is synchronized to your favorite Christmas music. There are several animated guest appearances, including Santa, Mrs. Claus, Rudolph and more. Show is 40 minutes long, and is free and open to the public, so guests can bring the whole family. Just drive into church parking lot and follow signs. Show is broadcast on car radio.
• Reconciliation, Tuesdays, 6-6:30 p.m., Saturdays, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., church.
St. Teresa of Avila, Perrysville
• Eucharistic exposition and Benediction, Friday, Dec. 7, following 7 a.m. Mass through Benediction at 5:30 p.m. in chapel.
• Monthly rosary and presentation, Thursday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m.
• Regional Christmas concert, Sunday, Dec. 16, 3 p.m. Featuring choirs of following parishes: St. Athanasius (West View), Incarnation of the Lord (Observatory Hill/Perry North), St. Sebastian (Ross Township) and St. Teresa.
Parishes of Transfiguration, Russellton, and St. Victor, Bairdford
• Choir concert, Friday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m., Transfiguration Parish.
• Mass, followed by confession and Eucharistic adoration, Wednesdays, Dec. 5 and 19, 6 p.m., Transfiguration Parish; Wednesday, Dec. 12, St. Victor Parish.
St. Cecilia, Rochester
• Concert, featuring Beaver Valley Chorale, Sunday, Dec. 9, 4 p.m., church.
• Parish's youth ministry (E.X.C.E.L.) will host district-wide event for middle-school students, Sunday, Dec. 9. Event includes confessions, pizza party, duck pin bowling tournaments and more. For information, contact Danielle Simoni at 724-775-2761.
• Christian Mothers Christmas party, Friday, Dec. 14, 5:30 p.m., social hall. Includes dinner, entertainment and more. To register, call 724-775-4796.
• Prison project: Parish youth group (E.X.C.E.L.) will collect items to pack in treat bags for inmates of Beaver County Jail. Bags, with handmade Christmas card, will be delivered to jail Dec. 20. For information or to donate, call Danielle Simoni at 724-775-2761.
• Giving tree: Tags will be placed on tree listed with requested items for be donated to Catholic Charities' Beaver County office.
• Coat and blanket drive for homeless. Donations will be collected and delivered to homeless in Downtown Pittsburgh and surrounding area shelters. To make a donation, call 724-775-2761 or e-mail Anastasia.email@example.com.
SS. Peter and Paul, Beaver
• Concert with Marco Fiorante, Thursday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m. Will feature Advent and Christmas songs.
• Concert with duo handbell ringers of Bert and Bud Erickson, Saturday, Dec. 22, 7 p.m. Bert and Bud Erickson will perform music during 6 p.m. Mass.
St. Titus, Aliquippa
• Christmas concert, “O Come, All Ye Faithful,” Saturday, Dec. 15, 6:30 p.m. Choirs will sing classic Christmas hymns, as well as newer selections. Reception will follow.
St. Joseph, Cabot
• Children's Christmas play, Sunday, Dec. 9, 4 p.m.
• Choir concert, Sunday, Dec. 23, 4 p.m., church. Featuring mix of choral and folk Christmas music performed by parish's adult choir.
St. Kilian, Adams/Cranberry Townships
• St. Nicholas pancake breakfast, Saturday, Dec. 1, 8:30-10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m.-noon. Includes breakfast, crafts and visit from St. Nicholas. Menu features pancakes, sausage, eggs, hash browns and beverages. Cost is $20 for two people, and $5 for each additional guest. For tickets, visit www.saintkilian.org/saintnicholas or stop in parish office.
• Christmas craft and vendor fair, Sunday, Dec. 2, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Featuring more than 20 vendors. Admission is free, and light refreshments will be served.
• Christmas concert, “Sing We Noel,” Wednesday, Dec. 9, 7:30 p.m. Concert features parish choirs and instrumentalists of all ages. Concert is free and open to the public, with good-will offering collected for St. Vincent de Paul Society.
New Castle Catholic Community
• Children's Christmas pageant, “The First Christmas” by Louise Egan, Friday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m., St. Vincent de Paul Parish, New Castle.
• Lessons and carols, Sunday, Dec. 16, 6:30 p.m., St. Vitus School, New Castle.
• Christmas performance and pageant, Thursday, Dec. 20, 7 p.m., St. Vitus School.
Holy Redeemer, Ellwood City
All at Holy Redeemer Church, 415 Fourth St.:
• Advent evening of prayer and reflection, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m.
• Religious education program, “Reflections on the Incarnation,” Thursday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m., church's Galliano Room. For information and to register, call 724-758-5562.
• Holy hour, with confessions, Tuesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m.
Villa Maria Community and Education Center, Villa Maria
• Nativity display, Sundays, Dec. 2 and 9, noon-5 p.m. An indoor Advent tradition, featuring hundreds of Nativity sets from around the world. Guests will be entertained by local musicians and choirs. Admission is free. In addition, the Villa Farm and Villa Shoppe will offer seasonal items for sale. Meatloaf dinner served Sunday, Dec. 2, noon-4 p.m. Cost is $10 for large, $7 for small. On Sunday, Dec. 9, spaghetti dinner served from noon-4 p.m. Cost is $8 for large, $5 for small. Children 4 and under eat free. Takeout available. For information, visit www.humilityofmary.org or call 724-964-8920, ext. 3208.
St. Alphonsus, McDonald
• Holy hour and Benediction, Wednesdays, Dec. 5 and 19, 7-8 p.m.
Immaculate Conception, Washington
• “The Journey,” Saturday, Dec. 8, 10:30 a.m., John F. Kennedy Catholic School, Washington.
• Reconciliation services: Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Sacred Heart Church, Claysville; Monday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., Immaculate Conception Church.