Advent 2019 will begin on December 1, the first Sunday of the Advent Season. This beginning comes with an invitation for you to take a spiritual journey:
The following is a listing of Advent services, programs and events submitted to the Pittsburgh Catholic by parishes and other Catholic institutions throughout the diocese. The listing is by Vicariate, with newly merged parishes first, followed by groupings in alphabetical order by location, then events across the diocese at non-parish locations.
Parishes across the diocese will welcome those seeking the sacrament of reconciliation during “The Light is On for You!” Wednesday, Dec. 11, from 6-9 p.m. For information, visit https://diopitt.org/lightison
Christ Our Savior Parish, North Side
Churches: St. Cyril, Brighton Heights; St. Boniface, North Side; St. Peter, North Side.
• Mini-parish mission, presented by Charity Sister Melanie Di Pietro, at all Masses Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 7 and 8, with extended presentation Monday, Dec. 9, at 7 p.m. at St. Peter. Theme is “Pope Francis and Charity.”
• Penance service, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m., St. Cyril and St. Peter.
• Prayer service, using “O Antiphons of Advent,” Sunday, Dec. 15, 1:15 p.m. (following noon Mass), St. Cyril.
Most Precious Blood of Jesus Parish, Marshall/Shadeland (Pittsburgh's North Side)
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 14, noon. Cost is $5 per person, and free for children under 1. For information, call 412-761-1552.
Assumption, Bellevue; St. John Neumann, Franklin Park; Sacred Heart, Emsworth
• “Lessons and Carols,” Sunday, Dec. 8, 3 p.m., Assumption.
St. Maria Goretti, Bloomfield; Our Lady of the Angels, Lawrenceville
• Giving tree: St. Maria Goretti, beginning weekend of Nov. 23, with ornaments listing information of children and adults in need from local food pantry and community. Gifts should be returned by Dec. 15.
• Giving tree: Our Lady of the Angels, beginning weekend of Dec. 1, with ornaments listing ages and sizes for local students and seniors in the community. All gifts should be returned by Dec. 15.
EAST END/POINT BREEZE/WILKINSBURG (Catholic Community of the East End of Pittsburgh)
St. Bede, Point Breeze; St. James, Wilkinsburg; St. Charles Lwanga, East End
• Afternoon of reflection, “Preparing for Something New,” Sunday, Dec. 7, 1-3:30 p.m., chapel of St. James. Facilitated by Father John Marcucci. Includes prayer, reflection and group discussion. Mass follows at 4 p.m. To register, call 412-241-1392 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Mass to celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe, followed by reception, Sunday, Dec. 15, 9 a.m., Mother of Good Counsel Church of St. Charles Lwanga.
• Advent Taize prayer service, followed by reception, Sunday, Dec. 15, 3 p.m., St. James.
All Saints, Etna; St. Aloysius, Reserve Township; St. Bonaventure, Glenshaw; Holy Spirit, Millvale; Blessed Trinity Academy, Glenshaw
• Pizza with St. Nick, Saturday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m.-12:15 p.m., Activity Building of All Saints Parish. Cost is $5. For reservations, call 412-781-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservation deadline is Nov. 27.
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m.-noon, Blessed Trinity Academy. Features pancake breakfast, crafts, toy raffle and more. Cost is $8 per adults, $4 per child. For reservations, e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline is Nov. 28.
• “The Promise,” a musical presented by All Saints Youth Theater, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 13 and 14, at 7 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 15, at 3:30 p.m., Activities Building of All Saints. Suggested donation is $7 per person, $30 per family. For information, e-mail email@example.com.
St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland; St. Regis, Oakland; St. Rosalia, Greenfield; St. Stephen, Hazelwood
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help novena and Benediction, Wednesdays, Dec. 4 and 18, St. Paul. Schedule: confessions and adoration, 7-7:30 p.m.; novena prayers and Benediction, 7:30-8 p.m.; (no novena Dec. 11, 25 and Jan. 1).
• Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Thursday, Dec. 12, 6 p.m. holy hour with adoration, Benediction and confession, followed by Mass with Bishop Zubik at 7 p.m., St. Paul.
• Blessing of Infant Jesus statues, following all Masses on weekend of Dec. 21-22.
St. Raphael, Morningside/Stanton Heights; Sacred Heart, Shadyside
• “Journey to Bethlehem,” a three-week spiritual journey, Mondays beginning Dec. 2, 7:30-9 p.m., Sacred Heart, and Thursdays beginning Dec. 5, 9:30-11 a.m. at St. Raphael. Presented by Jack Shaw, participants will experience mystery of the Incarnation through Mary, Joseph and people around the manger while reflecting on Scripture. A DVD will be presented, with scenes from Bethlehem and Holy Land centered around birth of Christ. Program is free and open to the public. To register, call Jack Shaw at 412-508-5383 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Church tour, Sunday, Dec. 8, 1-3 p.m., Sacred Heart. General overview or customized tours offered. Visitors can celebrate feast of Immaculate Conception by viewing Nativity sculpture and chapel of Blessed Virgin. No reservations necessary. Tour is free and open to the public, with goodwill offering accepted. For information, call Ann at 412-362-7324.
• Mass, followed by nine Nativity Stations of the Cross, with Scripture readings, reflections and seasonal music, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7-8:30 p.m., St. Raphael. (Confessions from 6-8 p.m.).
OBSERVATORY HILL/PERRYSVILLE/ROSS/WEST VIEW (NEIGHBORS NORTH CATHOLIC COMMUNITY)
St. Athanasius, West View; Incarnation of the Lord, Observatory Hill; St. Sebastian, Ross Township; St. Teresa of Avila, Perrysville
• Christmas concert, Sunday, Dec. 15, 3-4 p.m., St. Teresa of Avila. Program will include Christmas music featuring adult choir, Cherub Choir, contemporary choir, Good News Band, handbell choir, instrumentalists, Joyful Noise Ensemble and Spirit Band. Goodwill offering accepted.
SHRINES OF PITTSBURGH
Most Holy Name of Jesus, Troy Hill; St. Anthony Chapel, Troy Hill; Immaculate Heart of Mary, Polish Hill; St. Nicholas, Millvale; St. Patrick and St. Stanislaus Kostka, Strip District
• Solemn Advent vespers and Benediction, followed by veneration of St. Nicholas, Sunday, Dec. 1, 3 p.m., St. Anthony.
• “Lessons and Carols,” Sunday, Dec. 8, 2 p.m., Most Holy Name. Parish choir, under direction of Carol Ann Spehar, will perform an Advent service of carols, Scripture readings and hymns to help ready one's heart for the coming of the Light of the World.
• Cookie walk and soup sale, Saturday, Dec. 14, Most Holy Name School, 1515 Tinsbury St., with doors opening at 9 a.m. Cost is $15 for box of cookies, and $7 for quart of soup.
St. Paul of the Cross, Castle Shannon/Mount Lebanon
Churches: St. Anne, Castle Shannon; St. Winifred, Mount Lebanon.
• Adult education series, Mondays, Nov. 18-Dec. 9, 10-11:15 a.m., or Wednesdays, Nov. 20-Dec. 11, 7-8:15 p.m., DePalma Room of St. Anne. Program will utilize Little Rock Scripture Study's “The Infancy Narratives of Jesus.”
• Annual Christmas Choral Concert, featuring parish choir, Sunday, Dec. 8, 2 p.m., St. Anne.
BETHEL PARK/UPPER ST. CLAIR
St. John Capistran, Upper St. Clair; St. Thomas More, Bethel Park
• Concert, to benefit Hekima Place, Saturday, Dec. 7, 7:30 p.m., St. Thomas More. Reception will follow.
• Advent “Carol Sing,” contemporary choir concert, preceding 5 p.m. Mass, St. John Capistran. Reception to follow.
• Live Nativity, Sunday, Nov. 22, following 11:30 a.m. Mass. Reception to follow, St. Thomas More.
• Choir concert, Friday, Jan. 3, St. Thomas More.
BRADDOCK/CHURCHILL/FOREST HILLS/SWISSVALE/TURTLE CREEK/WILMERDING
St. Colman, Turtle Creek; Good Shepherd, Braddock/Braddock Hills; St. John Fisher, Churchill; St. Jude, Wilmerding; Madonna del Castello, Swissvale; St. Maurice, Forest Hills; Word of God, Swissvale
• Bible study, Sundays, Dec. 1-22, 11:15 a.m., St. Colman.
• Immaculate Conception “Lessons and Carols,” Sunday, Dec. 8, 4 p.m., St. Maurice.
• Bible study, Thursdays, 7 p.m., St. Maurice.
• Concert, “Jon Zellhart and Friends present the Kronos Duo,” Sunday, Dec. 15, 3 p.m., St. John Fisher. The classical guitar and clarinet Kronos Duo of Matthew Korbanic and Nolan Petote will be featured. Also, John Zellhart and parish cantors will perform and lead congregation in singing of favorite Christmas selections. Goodwill offering accepted.
• Concerts, featuring bell choir of Good Shepherd, Sunday, Dec. 15, 2 p.m., Word of God; and Sunday, Dec. 22, 2 p.m., Good Shepherd.
CARNEGIE/GREEN TREE/SCOTT TOWNSHIP
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Carnegie; St. Margaret of Scotland, Green Tree; SS. Simon and Jude, Scott Township
• Craft show, Saturday, Dec. 7, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., St. Margaret School cafeteria.
• School children's Advent program, Thursday, Dec. 19, 1 p.m., St. Margaret.
CLAIRTON/JEFFERSON HILLS/PLEASANT HILLS/WEST MIFFLIN
St. Clare of Assisi, Clairton; St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Pleasant Hills; Holy Spirit, West Mifflin; St. Thomas A Becket, Jefferson Hills
• “The Bible Timeline,” a 24-week Scripture study, based on Jeff Cavins' DVD series. Tuesdays, Nov. 19-May 19, 10:30 a.m.-noon, or 6:30-8 p.m., old St. Thomas church building. Study will cover major people, places and events of the Bible, and teach how they all came together. Cost is $35 for book and access to all videos online for two years; if you miss sessions, you can make them up online. To register, contact Amy LaMartina at 412-882-8744.
• Series, “Advent Meditations with Joseph,” a three-part series based upon the “Rejoice! Advent Meditations with Joseph” journal and videos, Thursdays, Dec. 5 and 12, Wednesdays, Dec. 18, 6:30-7:45 p.m., St. Elizabeth. Schedule: Thursday, Dec. 5, opening prayer, “Rejoice with Joseph: Parish Mission Video,” reflection, closing prayer; Thursday, Dec. 12, opening prayer, “Rejoice! With Joseph Journal,” closing prayer; Wednesday, Dec. 18, opening prayer, “Rejoice with Joseph” (short video), reflection on St. Joseph with seminarian John Flynn, meditation and closing prayer. Cost is $5 for journal. To register, call Amy LaMartina at 412-882-8744.
• Reconciliation services: Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7:30 p.m., St. Thomas; Thursday, Dec. 19, 7:30 p.m., St. Elizabeth.
DORMONT/MOUNT LEBANON/SCOTT TOWNSHIP
St. Bernard, Mount Lebanon; Our Lady of Grace, Scott Township
• Confessions: St. Bernard, Wednesdays following 7 a.m. Mass, Thursdays 4-5 p.m. and 7-7:30 p.m., Saturdays following 8 a.m. Mass; Our Lady of Grace, Saturdays, 2:45-3:45 p.m.
• Eucharistic adoration: St. Bernard, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. in adoration chapel; Our Lady of Grace, last Wednesday of month following 9 a.m. Mass through holy hour from 7-8 p.m.
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 7, 9 a.m.-noon, Our Lady of Grace School. Includes breakfast, photo with Santa, crafts, Santa Shop, basket raffle and story stroll. For information, call 412-279-6611.
St. Agnes, West Mifflin; Christ Light of the World, Duquesne; St. Joseph, Duquesne; St. Maximilian Kolbe, Homestead; Resurrection, West Mifflin; St. Rita, Munhall Gardens; St. Therese of Lisieux, Munhall
• Vespers service, feast of Christ the King, Sunday, Nov. 24, 6 p.m., Resurrection.
• Advent lecture series and lunch, Wednesdays, Dec. 4, 11 and 18, 11 a.m. lunch, followed by lecture, St. Maximilian. Schedule of speakers: Dec. 4, Father Michael Conway; Dec. 11, Dottie Wasick; Dec. 18, to be announced.
• Advent choral evening prayer, Sunday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m., St. Agnes. Reception will follow.
• Advent vespers service, Sunday, Dec. 15, 6 p.m., St. Therese of Lisieux. Light refreshments to follow.
• Advent evening of reflection, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., Holy Name Church of Christ Light of the World.
• Christmas carol sing, Sunday, Dec. 22, 3 p.m., followed by dinner, St. Maximilian. Proceeds benefit St. Vincent de Paul Society.
FINLEYVILLE/JEFFERSON HILLS/PETERS TOWNSHIP
St. Benedict the Abbot, Peters Township; St. Francis of Assisi, Finleyville; St. Isaac Jogues, Jefferson Hills
• Advent concert, Sunday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m., St. Francis. Featuring combined parish choirs, as well as Too Many Tubas band.
McKEESPORT/ VERSAILLES/WHITE OAK
St. Angela Merici, White Oak; Corpus Christi, McKeesport; St. Patrick, McKeesport/Versailles; St. Robert Bellarmine, East McKeesport
• Annual Parish Grouping Ethnic Christmas dinner, Saturday, Dec. 7, 5:30 p.m., St. Patrick hall, McKeesport. Cost is $10, and includes entertainment and assorted ethnic foods, served homestyle, including mushroom soup, fish, pierogies, stuffed shells, colcannon, paska bread and more. For tickets, call Joan at 412-678-0487 or Joanne at 412-678-7192.
• Holy hours: Monday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m., St. Patrick; Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., Corpus Christi.
• “Light is On for You” sacrament of reconciliation, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 6-9 p.m., Corpus Christi and St. Robert.
• Penance service, Monday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m., St. Patrick.
St. Matthias, Greene County
Churches: St. Ann, Waynesburg; St. Hugh, Carmichaels; St. Marcellus, Jefferson; St. Ignatius, Bobtown.
• Mass of healing and anointing, Saturday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m., St. Marcellus.
• Penance services: Monday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m., St. Hugh; Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., St. Marcellus; Wednesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m., St. Ann; Thursday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m., St. Ignatius.
St. James, Sewickley; St. Mary, Aleppo Township
• Music Plus concert series, “Music for McGuire,” featuring Pittsburgh Symphony Brass, Sunday, Dec. 1, 6:30 p.m., St. James. Pre-concert with students from String Studio of Casandra Burg starts at 6 p.m. Goodwill offering taken for McGuire Memorial Home of New Brighton.
• Eucharistic adoration, Monday through Friday, Dec. 2-23, following 9 a.m. Mass until 9 p.m., St. James children's chapel.
• Sewickley Light Up Night pasta feast, 4:30-7:30 p.m., St. James School cafeteria. Entrees: classic angel hair and meatballs with red sauce, $13; angel hair in red sauce, $10; chicken parmigiana and angel hair, $14. All meals include salad, Mancini roll and more. Kids meals are $5 for ages 6-12 and free for kids 5 and under. Tickets include limited reserved parking. Advance ticket purchase suggested. For information, call 412-741-6650.
• “Blue Christmas” candlelight service of hope and comfort, for those dealing with such Issues as grief, divorce, unemployment, failing health during holiday season, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m., St. Mary. Sponsored by parish grouping's health ministry.
Good Samaritan, Ambridge; St. John the Baptist, Baden; SS. John and Paul, Franklin Park; Our Lady of Peace, Conway
• Grief share, “Surviving the Holidays,” Mondays, Dec. 2 and 9, 7 p.m., Jericho Hall Conference Room A of Good Samaritan. Presented by Deacon Anthony Giordano.
• Scripture study, “Genesis to Jesus,” using “Journey Through Scripture” video Bible study, Tuesdays, Dec. 3, 10 and 17, 3:30 p.m., Jericho Hall Conference Room of Good Samaritan. For information, call 724-266-6565.
• Advent reflection and scriptural study on birth of Jesus, Thursdays, Dec. 5, 12 and 19, 7 p.m., Stephen Center Room 5 of Our Lady of Peace. Presented by Deacon Anthony Giordano and Marilyn Chesko.
• Presentation by Abby Johnson, author of “Unplanned,” Thursday, Dec. 5, 7 p.m., SS. John and Paul. Part of parish's Boldly Catholic speaker series. A former Planned Parenthood director, Johnson is now a pro-life advocate. For tickets, visit www.greatgrouping.org/johnson.
• “The Vigil Project” performance, Saturday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m., SS. John and Paul. Visit www.greatgrouping.org.
• “Walk with Jesse,” Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 7 and 8, SS. John and Paul. Registration required. To register, visit www.greatgrouping.org.
• Living Nativity, Friday, Dec. 13, 6:30 p.m., SS. John and Paul.
• Breakfast with St. Nick, Saturday, Dec. 14, 9:30 a.m., social hall of St. John the Baptist. To register, call 724-266-6565.
• Blessing and lighting of memorial tree, Sunday, Dec. 15, noon, Good Samaritan courtyard.
• Children's Christmas Pageant, Saturday, Dec. 21, 6 p.m., Good Samaritan.
St. Cecilia, Rochester; St. Felix, Freedom; Holy Family, New Brighton; SS. Peter and Paul, Beaver
• Confessions: Monday, Dec. 16, 6 p.m., St. Cecilia; Tuesday, Dec. 17, 4 p.m., SS. Peter and Paul; Wednesday, Dec. 18, 6 p.m., St. Cecilia; Thursday, Dec. 19, 4 p.m., St. Felix.
• Holiday vendor show, Sunday, Dec. 8, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., SS. Peter and Paul School cafeteria.
• Christmas house tour, Sunday, Dec. 8, 4-8 p.m., starting at SS. Peter and Paul School.
• Christian Mothers Christmas party, Friday, Dec. 13, 5:30 p.m., St. Cecilia, featuring dinner and entertainment. Call 724-775-4796.
• Annual Knights of Columbus Christmas party for children, Friday, Dec. 13, 6:30 p.m., St. Cecilia. Includes toys for children, refreshments and visit from Santa. Call 724-775-2761.
• Advent/Christmas concert, featuring Marco Fiorante, Saturday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m., SS. Peter and Paul.
• Christmas bake sale, before and after all Masses Dec. 14 and 15, St. Cecilia. For information, call 724-775-0801.
• Breakfast with Santa, Sunday, Dec. 15, 8 a.m. at Holy Family and SS. Peter and Paul.
• Choral concert, featuring Beaver Valley Choral, Sunday, Dec. 15, 4 p.m., St. Cecilia.
• Giving tree to benefit local community children, St. Cecilia. For information, call 724-775-2761.
• The Excel youth group of St. Cecilia is collecting items for bags with handmade cards to inmates of the Beaver County Jail. For information, call 724-775-2761.
Holy Rosary, Muse; Our Lady of Miraculous Medal, Meadow Lands; St. Patrick, Canonsburg
• Presentations, “Our Lady of Guadalupe: Empress of the Americas,” Tuesday, Dec. 3, 7 p.m., Holy Rosary; Tuesday, Dec. 10, 7 p.m., Our Lady. Presented by Jorge Vela, director of Latino ministries for the diocese, includes presentation, short prayer service and light refreshments. All are welcome.
• Prayer services: Tuesday, Dec. 3, 7 p.m., Holy Rosary; Tuesday, Dec. 10, 7 p.m., Our Lady.
• Christmas vendor and craft show, Saturday, Dec. 7, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., St. Patrick.
• “Creating to Christmas” musical Jesse tree, Sunday, Dec. 15, 10:30 a.m., Holy Rosary. Presented by students from parish faith formation program. Program centers on the miracle of God's gift to us, Jesus, through symbols and song.
St. Catherine of Siena, Crescent; St. Joseph, Coraopolis; St. Margaret Mary, Moon Township
• Advent speaker, Wednesday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m., St. Margaret Mary. Mark Joseph will present “The Gift of God's Love — Growing from Overwhelmed to Fulfilled.”
• Eighth annual St. Lucy Festival of Light, Saturday, Dec. 7, following 5:30 p.m. Mass, St. Joseph. Program will include turning switch to light up the 40-foot tree, and memorial luminaria. Hot chocolate, pizza and home-baked goods will be served. Bring the whole family.
• Musical, “In Search of the Christ Child,” written by Bob Summers, Sunday, Dec. 8, 3 p.m., St. Margaret Mary.
• Mass in Italian to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Loreto (newly added by Pope Francis), Tuesday, Dec. 10, 6:30 p.m., St. Joseph.
• Penance service, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m., all three parishes.
• “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 14, 6 p.m., St. Margaret Mary. A family event with crafts, games, prizes, storytelling and live Nativity. For tickets, call 412-264-2573.
St. John of God, McKees Rocks; Holy Trinity, Robinson Township; St. Malachy, Kennedy Township
• Adult formation series, “On the Guardian of the Redeemer (St. Joseph),” Thursdays, Dec. 12 and 19, 6:30-8 p.m., Gathering Place of St. Mary Church, St. John of God (can be accessed through the side door of the building). Led by seminarian Jacob Gruber, program is Part 2 of “The Redeemer Series.” Catechists can obtain elective credit. Program is free and open to the public, with refreshments provided. Child care is available. If planning to use child care, e-mail email@example.com.
WESTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY
St. Hilary, Washington; Immaculate Conception, Washington
• “The Journey,” Saturday, Dec. 14, 10 a.m., JFK Catholic Middle School. Guests are invited to join your family with the Holy Family to experience the true meaning of Christmas.
• Penance service, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., Immaculate Conception.
Holy Spirit, New Castle/Lawrence County Area
Churches: St. Camillus, Neshannock Township; St. Anthony (former Christ the King Parish), Bessemer; St. James, Pulaski; St. Joseph the Worker, New Castle; Mary, Mother of Hope, New Castle; St. Vincent de Paul; New Castle; St. Vitus, New Castle.
• Christmas pageant, “The First Christmas: A Children's Christmas Pageant,” by Louise Egan, Friday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m., St. Vincent de Paul. Public is invited to join children of parish for joyful celebration of Jesus' birth.
• Evening of reflection on St. Francis of Assisi and Christmas, Monday, Dec. 9, 7-8:30 p.m., St. Vitus.
• Penance services, Wednesday, Dec. 11, Mary, Mother of Hope (St. Mary) Church; Monday, Dec. 16, St. Joseph the Worker.
Transfiguration, Russellton; St. Victor, Bairdford
• Wednesday evening Advent Masses, Dec. 4, 11 and 18, 6 p.m., St. Victor. Confessions and adoration of Blessed Sacrament immediately follow Mass.
St. John the Evangelist, Coylesville; St. Joseph, Cabot; St. Mary of the Assumption, Herman
• Exposition of Blessed Sacrament and evening prayer, including spiritual reflection, followed by Benediction, Sundays, Dec. 1, 8, 15 and 22, 5 p.m., St. Mary of the Assumption.
St. Ferdinand, Cranberry Township; St. Gregory, Zelienople; Holy Redeemer, Ellwood City
• Advent evening of prayer and reflection, Wednesday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m., Holy Redeemer.
• Lunch with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 7, with seatings 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., Oldenski Hall of St. Ferdinand. Sponsored by Women's Club. Cost is $7 for children and adults, and free for children under 1. Includes craft, face painting and visit with Santa. Call 724-538-9522.
• Concert, featuring One Voice group, Sunday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m., Holy Redeemer.
• Adult faith formation program, “Advent with St. Matthew,” presented by Father Mark L. Thomas, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 7 p.m., Holy Redeemer parish center.
• Sacrament of reconciliation with priests in grouping, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m., Holy Redeemer.
St. Catherine of Sweden, Hampton Township; St. Richard, Richland Township
• Eucharistic adoration, Fridays, Dec. 6, 13 and 20, noon-9 p.m., St. Richard.
• Men's evening of reflection, Monday, Dec. 9, 6 p.m., St. Richard. Father Michael Conway is speaker.
• Annual “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 14, 6-8 p.m., Farmer Hall of St. Catherine of Sweden. Night for families that includes games, stories, crafts, birthday party for Jesus and live Nativity. Tickets are $6 per child, and free for adults with donation of baby item for Lifeline of Southwestern Pennsylvania. For tickets, call office at 412-486-6001 or visit www.stcatherineofsweden.org.
MONROEVILLE/PENN HILLS (MPH GROUPING)
St. Bernadette, Monroeville; St. Gerard Majella, Penn Hills; North American Martyrs, Monroeville and Pitcairn; St. Susanna, Penn Hills
• “Journey to Bethlehem,” a musical Nativity, Saturday, Dec. 14, 7:30 p.m., St. Bernadette. Show celebrates the birth of Jesus with prayers and songs, led by children's choir.
• Benedictine, followed by penance service with five priests, Monday, Dec. 16, 6 p.m., St. Bernadette.
NORTHERN BUTLER COUNTY
St. Alphonsus, West Sunbury; St. Christopher, Prospect; St. Peter, Slippery Rock/Forestville
• Catholic Scripture study, Thursdays, Dec. 5, 12 and 19, 7 p.m., St. Louis Church hall of St. Alphonsus.
• Birthday party for Jesus, Friday, Dec. 13, 6 p.m., St. Christopher.
• Confessions: St. Christopher, Tuesdays at 8:30 a.m. and Saturdays after 5:30 p.m. Mass; St. Peter, Saturdays after 4 p.m. Mass; St. Anthony Church of St. Peter, Tuesdays, 7:30 a.m.; Newman Center of St. Peter, Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m.
St. Irenaeus, Oakmont; St. Januarius, Plum; St. John the Baptist, Plum; St. Joseph, Verona; Our Lady of Joy, Holiday Park
• “Lessons and Carols,” Friday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m., St. Joseph School. Featuring combined five parish choirs.
• Brunch with Santa, Sunday, Dec. 8, 9-11:30 a.m., St. John the Baptist School.
• School Christmas musical, Sunday, Dec. 8, 1 p.m., St. Joseph School gym.
• Penance services: Tuesday, Dec. 17, 6:30 p.m., St. Joseph; Thursday, Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m., Our Lady.
• Free community brunch, Christmas Day, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Father Marchukonis Hall of Our Lady of Joy. For reservations, call Sal Altamore at 412-780-6929 or e-mail Altamors@aol.com.
UPPER ALLEGHENY VALLEY
St. Alphonsus, Springdale; Holy Family, Crieghton; Holy Martyrs, Tarentum; St. Joseph, Natrona; Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Natrona Heights; Our Lady of Victory, Harwick
• “Advent by Candlelight: An Evening for Adult Women of Faith,” Thursday, Dec. 12, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Patterson Hall of Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament. Guest speaker is Sharon Hachman. For information, call Heather Wygonik at 724-226-4900, ext. 15, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Advent/Christmas concert, Sunday, Dec. 15, 2 p.m., Holy Martyrs. Choirs from parishes in grouping will perform Advent and Christmas music, concluding with grand finale of the Hallelujah Chorus.
ADVENT PROGRAMS ACROSS THE DIOCESE
Epiphany Association Academy of Formative Spirituality, Beechview
• Advent series: “The O Antiphons,” Saturday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Includes meditation on O Antiphons, and their relationship to Scripture and the Divine Office. Participants will construct an O Antiphon prayer meditation booklet, with no art experience necessary. Cost is $20, and includes all materials. To register, call 412-341-7494 by Dec. 1.
• Advent evening of reflection, Sunday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m. Opportunity for prayer, silence, song and meditative reflection as we celebrate the season of Advent and anticipate the graces of Christmas. Followed by reception. Goodwill offering accepted. Call 412-341-7494, by Dec. 1.
Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse, Baden
• Advent day of reflection and Christmas card writing, Sunday, Dec. 1, 1-4 p.m. Includes brief prayer service, soft music, wine, cheese and company. Attendees are asked to bring Christmas cards to start writing and send. Program is free and open to the public. To register, call 724-869-6587 or visit www.bit.ly/advent2019csj.
Kearns Spirituality Center, McCandless Township
• “Lectia Divina (Divine Reading): Advent series,” Tuesdays, Nov. 26, Dec. 3, 10 and 17, 7-9 p.m. Attendees will read Scripture by gradually letting go of own agenda and opening up to what God wants to say, while preparing to be touched by Christ Child's arrival. Facilitated by Divine Providence Sister Margie Modro. Cost is $10. For information and to register, call 412-366-1124 or visit www.cdpsisters.org/kearns.
St. Paul of the Cross Passionist Retreat Center, Pittsburgh's South Side
• “The Greatest Yes,” Wednesday, Dec. 4, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Presented by Father Levi Hartle. Cost is $30, and includes lunch. For information and reservations, call 412-381-7676.
• “Christ in Me: An Advent Desert Day,” Tuesday, Dec. 17, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Presented by Passionist Fathers Gerald Laba and Junesh Xavier. Cost is $30, and includes lunch. To register, call 412-381-7676.
National Institute of Newman Studies, Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood
• “A Journey Through Newman's Advent Sermons,” Saturdays, Dec. 2, 9 and 16, 7-8 p.m., Galliot Center for Newman Studies, 211 N. Dithridge St. Led by Dr. Bud Marr and Dr. Elizabeth Huddleston, series will reflect on St. John Henry Newman's Advent sermons. For information and to register, visit www.newmanstudies.org.
Villa Maria Community Center, Villa Maria
• Annual Indoor Nativity display, featuring hundreds of Nativity sets from around the world, Sundays, Dec. 1 and 8, noon-5 p.m., Villa Maria Community Center. Also featuring local musicians and choirs performing holiday classics. Villa Farm and Shoppe offering seasonal items for sale. Admission and parking are free. For information, call 724-964-8920, ext. 3348.
• Roast beef dinner (vegetarian option available), in conjunction with Nativity display, Sunday, Dec. 1 and 8, noon-4 p.m. Tickets are $15 for large, $10 for small, $5 for children's portion, and free for children 4 and under. Takeout is available. Tickets can be purchased in advance or at the door. For tickets and information, call 724-964-8920, ext. 3348, or visit www.humilityofmary.org.