Monday January 26, 2015
THEOLOGY ON TAP
Author and EWTN host Mike Aquilina will talk about angels at the next Theology on Tap gathering on Tuesday, Jan. 27, at Rivertowne Pourhouse, 312 Center Road in Monroeville, starting at 7 p.m. Young adults in their 20s and 30s are invited to attend.
St. Michael Parish in Butler continues its “Catholic Alive!” series on Wednesday, Feb 4, from 6:30-8 p.m. Dr. Michel Therrien will present “Gospel and Medical Practice: Is There a Catholic Approach to Medicine?” The program includes music, praise, talk and refreshments. For more information, call 724-287-1759.
St. Joseph Parish in Cabot is offering “Discovering Christ” sessions on Wednesdays, from Feb. 4 through March 25 (except on Ash Wednesday). Sessions begin at 6:15 p.m. and include a meal, prayer and praise, a video and a discussion. Questions examined include “What is the meaning of life?” and “Who is Jesus?” The program is free and open to the public, with registration required. To register, call 724-352-2149 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Thomas More Parish in Bethel Park, along with Contemplative Outreach Pittsburgh, will host an “Introduction to Centering Prayer” at the parish’s Family Life Center on Saturday, Feb. 7, from 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. The donation is $20, and includes a workshop, five follow-up sessions and a continental breakfast. Guests are asked to bring a bag lunch. For more information, and to register, call Mimi Darragh at 412-445-7102 or e-mail email@example.com.
WOMEN AND SPIRIT
The Sisters of Divine Providence invite the public to celebrate World Day of Consecrated Life on Sunday, Feb. 8, by attending one of two viewings of the documentary “Women and Spirit: Catholic Sisters in America.” Showings are at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m in the Providence Heights Auditorium, 9000 Babcock Blvd. in McCandless Township. To register, call 412-931-5241 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday, Feb. 7.
St. Angela Merici Parish in White Oak will host a Mardi Gras/Paczki dance on Sunday, Feb. 8, from 3-7 p.m. in the parish’s Father Drap Hall. Dancing music will be provided by Henny and the Versa J’s. Ethnic food will be available, with traditional paczkis (Polish doughnuts) given to all those attending. The cost is $15, and includes beverages. For more information and tickets, call 412-672-9641 or visit www.stangelamericiparish.org.
In celebration of the 50-year anniversary of Nostra Aetate, a declaration issued by the Second Vatican Council on the relations of the church with non-Christian religions, a discussion will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 11, at Rodef Shalom Congregation, 4905 Fifth Ave. in Pittsburgh’s Shadyside neighborhood. The theme is “Christians and Jews: The Unfinished Agenda.” Speakers include Rabbi James Rudin, Dr. Tim Crain and Rabbi Aaron Bisno. the program is free and open to the pubic.
Author Sherry Weddell will present a one-day conference on “Forming Intentional Disciples” at Our Lady of Grace Parish, 1011 Mount Plesaant Road in Greensburg, on Thursday, Feb. 12, from 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The program is open to all clergy, parish staff, lay leaders and volunteers. To register, visit www.dioceseofgreensburg.org.
Monday January 26, 2015
TUESDAY, JAN. 27
• Eucharistic adoration, following 8:30 a.m. Mass through closing prayers and Benediction at 7 p.m., St. Angela Merici Parish, 1640 Fawcett Ave., White Oak. The devotion is held to celebrate the feast day of St. Angela.
SUNDAY, FEB. 1
• Breakfast brunch buffet, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., St. James the Apostle Parish, 4019 U.S. Route 422, Pulaski. The menu includes french toast, pancakes, eggs, home fries, bacon, ham, sausage, fresh cinnamon rolls and more. The cost is $8 for adults, $4 for kids. The featured syrup is peach.
• Mass in Polish, 10 a.m., Our Lady Queen of Peace Church of St. Peter Parish, 907 Middle St., Pittsburgh’s North Side. For more information, call 412-921-7589.
• Super bingo,1:45 p.m. early bird (doors open at 12:30 p.m.), St. Gregory Parish, 2 W. Beaver St., Zelienople. The cost is $25 in advance, $30 at the door. For more information and tickets, call 724-52-7245.
• Holy hour and Benediction, 6:30-7:30 p.m., St. Peter Church of Prince of Peace Parish, S. 28th and Sarah streets, Pittsburgh’s South Side.
Monday January 26, 2015
St. Paul of the Cross Retreat Center, 148 Monastery Ave., Pittsbugh’s South Side. • Men’s retreat, “Bringing Hope and Compassion to a Hurting World,” 4:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6, through noon Sunday, Feb. 8. To register, call 412-381-7676.
St. Joseph Spirituality Center, 1020 State St., Baden. • Ignatian living room retreat, Thursdays of Lent (Feb. 19-March 16), 10- 11:30 a.m. with daily prayer based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. Participants will be asked to pray at home each day, then meet on Thursdays in a group setting. Directed by St. Joseph Sister Catherine Higgins. The fee is $20, and includes materials. To register, call 724-869-6587 by Feb. 6.
Martina Spiritual Renewal Center, 5244 Clarwin Ave., West View. • Directed (silent) retreat, 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 22, through lunch on Sunday, March 1. Scripture-based retreat includes time for prayer, solitude and discernment, with Mass available daily. Directors are St. Joseph Sister Catherine Higgins and Jesuit Father Philip Fogarty. The cost is $425. To register, call 412-931-9766 by Feb. 6.
• Personal (silent) retreat time, any number of days from Sunday, Feb. 1, through Sunday, March 1. Any number of days throughout the week are available. To register, call 412-931-8766 by Feb. 6.