2 Ads Found. Displaying Ads 1-2
Help Wanted (posted: Friday, March 16, 2018)
for the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh can be found at https://diopitt.org/jobs
Help Wanted (posted: Friday, March 8, 2019)
HEAD OF SCHOOL for the Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University
Carlow University seeks a dynamic head of school to lead The Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University.
The head of school embodies the mission of the school and effectively articulates the mission to faculty, staff, students, parents, and the University community. In keeping with the school’s mission, the head of school fosters traditions, relationships, and practices that establish the school’s climate and culture. Personal characteristics necessary for the position include: high energy and enthusiasm for all aspects of school life; organization and initiative; warmth and a good sense of humor; collaborative mindset and consensus-building skills; patience and persistence; and excellent communication skills.
The head of school is expected to be deeply involved in the day-to-day work of faculty, staff, and students while serving as the school leader and manager. It is expected that this person will provide leadership in 1) shaping innovative and creative teaching and learning practices, 2) ensuring an integration of current educational technology, 3) shaping the school’s programs including, but not limited to, academic, athletic, and other extracurricular offerings, 4) ensuring that every element of school life reflects the principles of equity, justice, and the dignity of the individual, and 5) maintaining a school culture and quality of life while providing a safe environment for learning. The head of school reports to the Executive Director of The Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University.
The Campus Laboratory School is an independent, laboratory, Catholic school for birth through grade eight with a Montessori school for three, four, and five-year-old children. The preschool program is part of the school family and licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services and holds NAEYC and 4-STAR Keystone STAR accreditations. The Campus Laboratory School, in conjunction with Carlow University’s Education Department is a satellite of Carnegie Mellon University’s CREATE Lab.
The Campus School, the oldest Diocesan school in the Pittsburgh region, began in 1844 when the Sisters of Mercy began St. Mary’s Academy in the city of Pittsburgh. The name was later changed to Our Lady of Mercy Academy, and the school was moved to its current location. In 1963, grades seven to twelve moved to a new facility. Grades kindergarten through sixth remained and forged a relationship with Mount Mercy College, and the school became known at the Mount Mercy College Campus School. Based on its heritage, the Campus Laboratory School offers a supportive, challenging learning environment that focuses on the total development of the child and strives to nurture the Sisters of Mercy tradition of love, service, and faith.
Curriculum and Instruction
• Upholds the academic and ethical standards of the school.
• Hires, supervises, evaluates, and dismisses all faculty and staff members.
• Fosters professionalism, collegiality, and ethical conduct in the faculty.
• Provides for the professional development of the faculty.
• Stimulates and participates in the dialog about teaching and learning at the school.
• Supervises the selection of curricula, class schedules, assessments, graduation requirements, and all aspects of the school’s academic program.
• Optimizes the physical learning environment and technology in all instructional areas.
• Supports University lab school configuration and collaboration with Campus Community.
• Participates in University Teacher Preparation Program Curricular alignment and strategic planning.
• Ensures commitment as a CMU CREATE Lab Satellite and supports innovative robotic technology and sound instructional practices.
• Advocates for innovative teaching and learning practices.
• Understands educational trends and the local and regional educational landscape.
• Demonstrates and reflects an understanding of and a commitment to the mission and core values of Carlow University and the Sisters of Mercy.
• Organizes student activities and extracurricular opportunities.
• Administers the school’s discipline policies and standards of conduct.
• Supervises the school’s support systems, such as counseling, academic support, before- and after-school programs, school counseling, health and wellness, and yearly assessment program.
• Oversees the school safety programs, including building security, emergency procedures, transportation regulations, tornado and fire drills, etc.
• Promotes a healthy student culture in and out of school.
• Supports and provides leadership for all-school gatherings, including assemblies, sporting events, performances, etc.
• Provides for character education and ethical teachings in keeping with the mission of the school and the values of social justice.
• Reports student progress to parents on a timely and helpful basis.
Admissions, Marketing and Financial Aid
• Supervises and assists the admissions functions of the school, including recruitment programs, internal marketing, external outreach, website development and maintenance, information dissemination, and applicant testing and interviewing.
• Supervises the admissions decision-making process, including administration of the school’s financial aid program.
• Supervises and participates in the financial aid decision process.
• Oversees marketing for the school, including print and web materials, signage, and newsletters and coordinates these marketing efforts with the Education Department.
• Meets with strategic community partners and forms partnerships in support and advancement of school’s mission.
Business, Finance, and Plant Operations
• Oversees all employment and human relations matters, such as contracts, salaries, benefits, job assignments, job orientation, performance evaluation, retentions and dismissals, personnel records, employee handbooks, etc.
• Oversees the maintenance and cleaning of the buildings, grounds, and all plant operations including vehicles, grounds, etc.
• Compiles reports and maintains consistent communication with the Executive Director.
• Oversees the school’s fund-raising programs, such as the annual fund, capital campaigns, planned giving, and major events.
• Supervises the school’s development efforts in identifying, cultivating, thanking, and communicating with past and prospective donors.
• Oversees the school’s relations with its alumni, including development and maintenance of the alumni database, communications programs, and special events.
• Prepares or supports proposals for grant funding in conjunction with the Executive Director and Development Office
We seek an innovative leader with the following qualifications:
• Advanced Degree in Education, Education Administration and Supervision, or related field.
• Active Principal Certification required.
• Five (5) years of experience in an educational leadership position.
• Five (5) years of teaching experience
• Knowledge of related Federal, State, and Local laws and regulatory practices governing academic programming and accreditation required.
• Demonstrated ability in building relationships internally and externally. Financial acumen. Direct fundraising experience strongly preferred.
• A high degree of emotional intelligence and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Belief in the potential of all students and a commitment to inclusive practices and social justice
• Willingness to abide by principles of good practice in all school operations.
Carlow University employees commit themselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct. They commit to act with integrity, treat others with respect and dignity, carefully steward the University's resources, avoid conflicts of interest or commitment, maintain confidentiality, and to comply with legal and professional obligations.
Carlow University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer by choice. We value diversity and we are committed
2 Ads Found. Displaying Ads 1-2