PITTSBURGH, PA

Ladies of Charity mark 400th anniversary of their founding

Monday, January 09, 2017 - Updated: 4:00 am
Pittsburgh Catholic Staff Report

Local Ladies of Charity participated in a recommitment ceremony and Mass Dec. 8 at St. Paul Cathedral launching the 400th year of Ladies of Charity service. The presider was Father Kris Stubna, cathedral rector.

Founded in France in 1617 by St. Vincent de Paul, women were encouraged to organize associations to assist with the needs of the impoverished and disadvantaged on a regular basis. Their exceptional charity work spread from France to Poland and Italy, and the women’s service today utilizes more than 200,000 volunteers who serve in 52 countries.

With Bishop David Zubik as episcopal chairman of the national association, the Ladies of Charity in Pittsburgh have a rich tradition extending back to 1959, with more than 1,500 members who commit to serve with humility, simplicity and charity.

The first association in the United States was founded in 1857 in St. Louis, Missouri, and today provides services in 200 communities in 22 states.

Nearly 6,000 women in the U.S. fight poverty with service, advocacy and educational projects in collaboration with Vincentian priests, the Daughters of Charity and other groups seeking to help poor and frail people, especially women and children who need assistance.

For information, contact the Association for the Ladies of Charity Diocese of Pittsburgh at 412 456-6924 or go to locpittsburgh.org.

 


Bishop Zubik's Columns

E-Edition
Current Magazine

Click here to see, download more issues

Current Magazine
Current Magazine

Click here to see, download more issues

Most Popular