Advent 2016 began on November 27, 2016, the first Sunday of the Advent Season. This beginning comes with an invitation for you to take a spiritual journey:
Below is listing of activities throughout the diocese (by county and parish) that were submitted to the Pittsburgh Catholic and that will be occurring during Advent. In addition, on Wednesday, Dec. 14, from 6-9 p.m., all parishes will be open for confession as part of the “The Light is On for You.”
All Saints, Etna
• 40 minutes with Jesus: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, Nov. 28, through Jan. 6, 6:30-7:15 p.m.
• Pizza with St. Nick, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 3. Cost is $5. For reservations, call 412-781-5183.
• A Journey to Christmas, Friday, Dec. 9, 7 p.m.
• Parish hymn sing, Friday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m.
• Train display, operating Saturdays-Sundays, Nov. 26-Jan. 15, (closed Dec. 24, 25 and 31, and Jan. 1), 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays, noon-4 p.m. Sundays. Admission is free, with goodwill offering accepted.
• Community Christmas party, Sunday, Dec. 11, noon-2 p.m., social hall. Features crafts, foods, operating train display and visit from Santa Claus.
St. Alphonsus, Wexford
• Prayer service with music, Friday, Dec. 9, 7:30 p.m. Coming together to enter into the season of Advent will be the parish’s children, adult and hand bell choirs, along with cantors and instruments. For more information, call Mary Heagy, director of music and liturgy, at 724-538-5258 or 412-979-1085.
• Reconciliation service, Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m.
St. Angela Merici, White Oak
• Concert, “Holiday Sounds,” with East Winds Symphonic Band, 3-4:30 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 11. Admission is free.
St. Anne, Castle Shannon
• Concert, Sunday, Dec. 18, 3 p.m.
• Penance service, Monday, Dec. 19, 6:30 p.m.
• All-day Eucharistic adoration, Tuesdays, following 8 a.m. Mass until Benediction at 6:15 p.m., followed by evening Mass at 6:30 p.m., with St. Anne novena prayers. Confessions offered from 5:15-6:15 p.m.
• Family Advent Day, Saturday, Dec. 3, 10 a.m.-noon, school.
• Eucharistic adoration, Thursday, Dec. 8, noon-6:30 p.m.
• Christmas tree extravaganza, Saturday, Dec. 10, noon-7 p.m., school.
• Concert, adult and children’s choir, with brass ensemble, Sunday, Dec. 11, 3 p.m. Performing Rudolph’s “The Dream Isaiah Saw,” Schultz’s “Hodie Christus Natus Est” and other traditional favorites.
• Parish penance service, 6:30 p.m.
• Speaker, Thursday, Dec. 15, 6:30-9 p.m., McGovern Hall. Sister Annie Bremer will speak on “Francis in Greccio.”
St. Athanasius, West View
• “Lessons and carols,” Sunday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m., featuring adult and children choirs, plus Kassia Ensemble.
St. Bernadette, Monroeville
• Festival of praise, with Eucharistic adoration, Friday, Nov. 18, 7 p.m.
• Thanksgiving meal, for those who are eating alone, homeless, or would like to celebrate in a community atmosphere, Thursday, Nov. 24, from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., preceded by Mass. Hosted by Breaking Bread Ministry. Call 724-814-6816, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Taize prayer service, Monday, Nov. 28, 7 p.m.
• Breakfast with Santa, Sunday, Dec. 4, following 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. Masses, Lourdes Center Dining Room. Includes breakfast, raffles, photos with Santa, cookie decorating and a craft. Cost is $8 for children age 11 and up, $4 for children 3-10 and free for children 2 and under.
• A Christmas reflection, Friday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m. Presented by the choirs and cantors of the parish, the program will feature choral music from rock to Bach, along with readings, prayers and reflections. For more information, e-mail Josh Bandish at email@example.com.
• Christmas dinner, for those who will otherwise eat alone, Sunday, Dec. 25, following Mass, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., Lourdes Center. Sponsored by the Breaking Bread Ministry. Dinner is free. For planning purposes, reservations are requested, call 724-814-6816 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Bernard, Mount Lebanon
• Sacrament of reconciliation, Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday, 8:30 a.m., Thursdays, 4-5 p.m. and 7-7:30 p.m. Also, Thursday, Dec. 15, at 4 and 7 p.m., and Friday, Dec. 23, 8:30 a.m.
• For more information, visit www.stbernardchurch.com.
St. Bonaventure, Glenshaw
• Program, Father Jeremy Mohler will lead a three-part series, “The Mass: the Source and Summit of Our Faith,” 7 p.m., free and open to public. Schedule: Tuesday, Dec. 6, “The Mass, Why We Need to Worship”; Tuesday, Dec. 13, “Jesus Speaks to Us at Every Mass: The Liturgy of the Word”; and Tuesday, Dec. 20, “Jesus Feeds Us at Every Mass: The Liturgy of the Eucharist.”
St. Catherine of Sweden,
• Eighth annual “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 10, 6-8 p.m., Farmer Hall. Children and parents enjoy games, stories, crafts and more. There will be a birthday party for baby Jesus, and a live Nativity. Tickets are $6 per child, with adults free. Donations of baby items are accepted for the Roselia Center. For more information and tickets, call the parish office at 412-486-6001.
• Penance service, with several priests available, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 6 p.m., at St. Richard Parish in Richland Township.
• Additional weekday Mass on Wednesdays, Nov. 30, Dec. 7, 14 and 21, 6:30 a.m.
St. Cyril, Brighton Heights
• “Come Home for Christmas,” Sunday, Dec. 4, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m., Axmacher Hall. Sponsored by the parish’s adult ministry and Northside Catholic School team, includes prayer service, children’s activities, visit and photo with Santa, bake sale, crafters, music, refreshments, raffle and more. Also featuring sale of Christmas trees, poinsettias, wreaths and more, with a preview sale Saturday, Dec. 3, following 4:30 p.m. Mass.
St. Germaine, Bethel Park
• Concert, “No Biz Like Snow Biz,” performed by the Harmony Singers of Pittsburgh, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m. Hour-long program features a blend of secular and sacred holiday songs.
• Festival of praise, Saturday, Dec. 10, 7-8 p.m., St. Basil Church, 1735 Brownsville Road, Pittsburgh’s Carrick neighborhood.
• Holy hour, Wednesdays of Advent, 7-8 p.m., St. Wendelin Church, 2728 Custer Ave. in Pittsburgh’s Carrick neighborhood. Includes evening prayer and Eucharistic adoration.
Holy Child, Bridgeville
• Speaker, Sunday, Dec. 4, 7-8 p.m., artist Nikki Bruni will tell her conversion story, with her art piece, “The Pieta,” on display. Talk is free and open to the public.
• Bible study, “Follow Me: Meeting Jesus in the Gospel of John,” Mondays, Nov. 28, Dec. 5, 12 and 19, 6:30 p.m. The study is a video series led by Dr. Edward Sri. To register, call Dave at 412-855-0960, or e-mail email@example.com.
• “North Pole Express Adventure,” presented by Stage Right! Company, Friday, Dec. 9. The live performance is based on the movie “The Polar Express.” Hot chocolate and cookies served in the cafeteria at 5:30 p.m., the performance begins at 7 p.m. in the gym. Hosted by the Knights of Columbus. Cost is $5 per person. For more information, call 412-787-3853.
• One-night retreat, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 9 p.m. Includes prayer, praise, worship music, speaker and confession.
Holy Trinity, West Mifflin
• Lessons and Carols, Sunday, Dec. 4, 4 p.m. Reception will follow in social hall.
Holy Wisdom, North Side
• Advent Scripture series, with Father Lawrence DiNardo, Sundays of Advent, Nov. 27, Dec. 4, 11 and 18, following 9:30 a.m. Mass, Archive Room of St. Boniface Church.
• Mass, with prayers for the anointing of the sick, Saturday, Dec. 10, 2 p.m., St. Boniface Church,
Incarnation of the Lord,
Observatory Hill/Perry North
• Procession with lessons and carols, Sunday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m. (organ prelude at 5:45 p.m.). An evening of Scripture and song that recalls the coming of the Messiah, the anticipation of Christ’s second coming and welcoming Jesus into our hearts. Refreshments, including wassail, will be served following the concert.
St. Irenaeus, Oakmont
• Holy hour, Thursday, Dec. 1, 7-8 p.m.
• Thirty-sixth annual carol walk, Sunday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m. The walk will visit four local churches in Oakmont, including St. Irenaeus.
• Blessing of the Christ child from home Nativity sets, Sunday, Dec. 18, noon.
St. James, Sewickley
• Advent penance service, Monday, Nov. 28, 6:30 p.m.
• Light-up Night pasta feast, Friday, Dec. 2, 4-7 p.m. Menu: classic angel hair and meatballs in red sauce, $10; fettuccine Alfredo, $10; chicken parmagiana and angel hair, $13; kids meal, $5. Entrees are from authentic homemade recipes handed down through world traditions, and include salad, a Mancini roll and beverages. Advance ticket purchase suggested, and includes reserved Light-up Night parking. Live entertainment provided by Lou Valenzi, Jerry Comunale and friends. Call 412-741-6650.
• Music Plus concert series, “A Christmas Concert: Music for McGuire,” Sunday, Dec. 11, 6:30 p.m. Featuring the Pittsburgh Symphony Brass. Preconcert at 6 p.m. with Quaker Family School musicians. Goodwill offering accepted, with proceeds benefiting McGuire Memorial Home of New Brighton.
• Concert, featuring combined music ministries of the parish, Sunday, Dec. 18, 7:30 p.m. The adult hand bell and children’s choirs will perform seasonal music, accompanied by a full orchestra, with Donna Amato on piano, and Phil Leibscher and Sharron Schaefer on organ. A goodwill offering will be accepted. A reception follows the concert. For more information, call 412-741-6650, or visit www.stjamesmusic.org.
St. Joan of Arc,
South Park Township
• Taize prayer service, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m.
• Life enrichment meeting and party, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Domremy Pavilion. Featuring the South Hills Chorale performing “Celebration of Christmas.” Guests are asked to bring a covered dish.
St. John Fisher, Churchill
• Lunch with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 3, noon, Beaufort Hall. Cost is $5. For tickets, call 412-241-4722. Registration deadline is Monday, Nov. 28.
SS. John and Paul,
• Advent evening of reflection, “The Poverty of God,” Monday, Nov. 28, 7-8:30 p.m., Grotto Chapel.
• “Awaken,” with Eucharistic adoration, music and reflection, Wednesday, Nov. 30, 7 p.m., Grotto Chapel.
• All-night Eucharistic adoration, 8:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, through 8:45 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, Grotto Chapel.
• Concert, Tom Franzak presents “Saints In Their Own Words,” Saturday, Dec. 10, 7-9 p.m., Upper Cardinal DiNardo Chapel.
• Women’s Guild bake sale, Saturday, Dec. 10, following 5 p.m. Mass, and Sunday, Dec. 11, after all Masses, Multi-Purpose Room.
• Concert, Sunday, Dec. 11, 6-7 p.m., church. Pittsburgh Youth Chamber Orchestra, with adult and children’s choirs, in a holiday-themed concert, featuring music by Vaughn Williams, Emil Waldteufel and John Rutter. Also featuring “Hallelujah Chorus” from “Messiah” and carol sing-a-long.
• Penance service, Monday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., church.
• Living Nativity, Friday, Dec. 16, 7-8 p.m., church.
• Eucharistic adoration, Tuesday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Grotto Chapel.
St. Margaret Mary,
• Musical, “In Search of The Christ Child,” by Bob Summers, Friday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m.
• Youth event, “One Night in Bethlehem,” Saturday, Dec. 10, 6 p.m. Tickets are required, and must be purchased in advance. For tickets, call 412-334-6191.
• Sacrament of penance, Wednesdays of Advent, 9 a.m., and Saturdays, 11 a.m.-noon.
St. Maria Goretti,
• Adult education program, “Infancy Narratives,” Tuesdays of Advent, Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13 and 20, 7-8:30 p.m., cafeteria of Friendship campus site. Father Lou Pascazi will explore the “Infancy Narratives” in the Gospels, then lead a discussion on how these passages affect our relationship with God and our entire lives. No registration required.
St. Mary of the Assumption, Glenshaw
• “Lessons and carols,” Sunday, Dec. 11, 6 p.m. Featuring adult, children’s and hand bell choirs, along with the contemporary group.
St. Mary of Mercy,
• “Lessons and carols,” with St. Thomas a’ Becket Parish choir, Friday, Nov. 18 (Pittsburgh Light Up Night), 7 p.m., church.
St. Maurice, Forest Hills
• Program for children ages 3-7 and their families. The program will look at legends behind Christmas tree ornaments, Sunday, Dec. 11, following 10 a.m. Mass, Lawrence Room of Parish Center. To register, call 412-271-0809.
• Praise, worship music and holy hour, Sunday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m.
• “Lessons and carols,” Sunday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m. Featuring combined parish choirs.
St. Maximilian Kolbe,
• Adult education program, “O Come O Come Emanuel,” Wednesdays, Nov. 30, Dec. 7, 14 and 21, 11 a.m. Scheduled presenters: Nov. 30, Father Tom Lewandowski; Dec. 7, Father Nick Mastrangelo; Dec. 14, Pastor Lance Chatman; Dec. 21, Father Daniel Sweeney.
• Advent solemn vespers, Monday, Dec. 5, 7 p.m.
• Concert, featuring 40-voice choir plus instruments, Sunday, Dec. 18, 4 p.m. Gift card goodwill offering taken for St. Vincent de Paul’s Homestead Conference. Free dinner will follow in the parish hall.
Most Holy Name of Jesus, Troy Hill
• “Lessons and carols,” with parish choir under the direction of Carol Ann Spehar, Sunday, Nov. 27, 1 p.m.
• Christmas cookie walk, Saturday, Dec. 10, 9 a.m.-noon, school hall. Buy an open box for $15 and fill it with your favorite cookies, approximately five dozen.
Our Lady of the Angels,
Adult education program, “The Infancy Narratives in Scriptures,” Tuesdays, Nov. 29 and Dec. 6, 7:15 p.m., social hall under the church. Led by Deacons Richard and Jonathan.
Our Lady of Grace,
• Mass, celebrated on the memorial of St. John of the Cross, Wednesday, Dec. 14, 7 p.m. Benedictine Father Ralph Tajak is homilist. Following Mass, Father Ralph will lead an evening of reflection titled “Abandonment: Divine Providence – Let No Obstacles Stand Between Us and the Lord … in Advent.”
Our Lady of Joy, Holiday Park
• Mass in Spanish, Sunday, Dec. 18, 6 p.m.
Our Lady of Most Blessed Sacrament,
St. Joseph, Natrona
• Fourth annual “Advent by Candlelight,” an evening for adult women of faith, Thursday, Dec. 15, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Patterson Hall of Our Lady of the Most Blessed Sacrament Church. Guest speaker is Linda Lee Ritzer. For information on tickets, call 724-226-4900, ext. 15, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Lady of Victory, Harwick
• “Advent by Candlelight,” with Capuchin Father Scott Seethaler, Sunday, Nov. 27, 6-8 p.m. The program includes a talk on hope, peace, joy and love, plus dinner and music. Tickets are $20, and includes dinner and a donation to Father Seethaler’s designated charity. For tickets, call 724-274-8575, ext. 5, or e-mail email@example.com. Deadline for reservations is Nov. 21. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland
• Eucharistic adoration, Sunday, Nov. 27, 1-5 p.m., with solemn vespers and Benediction at 5 p.m.
• “Wine, cheese and Gospel,” led by Father Kris Stubna, Monday, Nov. 28, 6:30-8 p.m. The presentation will look at what Catholics believe about predestination and the final things.
St. Peter, North Side
• Mass, with anointing of the sick service, Sunday, Dec. 4, following 10:30 a.m. Mass, St. Peter Church.
St. Philip, Crafton/Ingram
• Adult series, Mondays, Nov. 28, Dec. 5 and 12, 7 p.m., Ascension Church in Ingram. Topic schedule: Nov. 28, “Advent in Story and Song”: Dec. 5; “Experiencing the Scriptures of Advent”; and Dec. 12, “An Advent Evening of Taize Prayer.”
• Advent penance service, Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m., St. Philip Church in Crafton.
Prince of Peace, South Side
• Traditional Slovak Christmas Eve dinner, “Vilija,” dinner at 5 p.m. (according to tradition of serving as the first star rises), Parish Center, 81 S. 13th St. Includes a dinner of baked fish, mushroom soup, vegetables, priohi, bobalky, kolachy and more. Entertainment provided by Pittsburgh Slovakians, the area’s oldest Slovak folk ensemble. The program culminates with the “Jaclickare,” the retelling of Christ’s birth from the point of view of the lowly shepherds. Tickets are $30 for adults, $12 for children 3-12 and free for children under 3, and must be purchased in advance. For tickets, call 412-481-8380.
Queen of Rosary, Glassport
• Mass with Bishop David Zubik, Saturday, Dec. 3, 4 p.m.
• Reconciliation service, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 6 p.m.
St. Raphael, Morningside
• Worship service, Wednesdays, Nov. 30, Dec. 7, 14 and 21, 6 p.m. Guest priests will be invited to participate each week. For more information, call 412-661-3100.
St. Richard, Richland
• Evening of reflection for men and sons, Friday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m. Led by Father Michael Ackerman. Dinner provided, with a goodwill offering accepted.
• Children’s Nativity play, Tuesday, Dec. 6, 6:30 p.m., and Wednesday, Dec. 7, 5 p.m.
• Family movie night, “Elf,” Friday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m.
• Reconciliation service, held in conjunction with St. Catherine of Sweden Parish in Hampton Township, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 6 p.m.
• Evening prayer and Benediction, Sundays, Nov. 27, Dec. 4, 11 and 18, 7 p.m.
• Eucharistic adoration, Fridays, Dec. 2, 9 and 16, 8 a.m., through 8 a.m. Saturdays.
St. Robert Bellarmine,
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 10, 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Includes a full breakfast, story time and a visit from Santa Claus. Cost is $7. For tickets, call Anita at 412-874-3423.
• Advent celebration, Saturday, Dec. 17, 4 p.m. During Mass, the children will lead in prayer and song, followed by a potluck dinner in the parish center.
St. Scholastica, Aspinwall
• “Advent by Candlelight,” an evening of music, prayer and reflection for women, Thursday, Dec. 1, 7 p.m., parish hall.
• “An Evening with St. Teresa of Calcutta,” Monday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m. Includes viewing of the movie “The Letters.”
St. Sebastian, Ross Township
• Advent penance service, Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m.
St. Sylvester, Brentwood
• Adult education program, Wednesdays, Nov. 30, Dec. 7 and 14, 7 p.m., church hall. Eileen Colianni will speak on “The Miracle of Incarnation: Discovering the Divine Within Each of Us — and Expressing It!”
• Reconciliation service, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m.
• Concert, with parish choir, Saturday, Dec. 17, 7 p.m.
St. Therese of Lisieux,
• Family Advent celebration, Saturday, Dec. 3, 5-7 p.m. (following 4 p.m. Mass), cafeteria. Includes the sharing of the true story of Christmas, crafts, games and fellowship with family and friends.
• Taize holy hour, Monday, Dec. 5, 7 p.m., church
• Masses for feast of Immaculate Conception, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 8, 6:30 and 8:15 a.m., and 12:15 and 7 p.m.
• Grief bereavement session, “Coping with the Holidays,” Wednesday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m., rectory meeting room.
• Presentation of Christmas story by religious education students, Saturday, Dec. 10, 10:45 a.m., gym.
• Christmas story, presented by school students in grades K-4, Monday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m., gym.
• Parish penance service, Monday, Dec. 21, 7 p.m.
St. Thomas More,
• Lecture and concert on music of Christmastide, presented by the Byzantine Choir of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh, Sunday, Nov. 27, 6:30 p.m.
• Benefit concert, for Hekima Place, Saturday, Dec. 10, 7:30-8:30 p.m., with a light reception to follow.
• Live Nativity, Sunday, Dec. 18, following 6 p.m., outside church (on Oxford Drive side). Light reception to follow.
• Mom’s prayer group, “Slippers and Scriptures,” Mondays, 8:30-9:30 p.m.
• Centering prayer, Mondays, 7-7:30 p.m.
• Advent Mass, with confessions after Mass, Wednesday, Nov. 30, Dec. 14 and 21, 6 p.m.
• Christmas concert, with traditional choir, Friday, Dec. 16, 7 p.m.
St. Valentine, Bethel Park
• Breakfast with Santa, Saturday, Dec. 3, 9 a.m.
• Program, “How Icons are Created,” presented by Judy Gorecki, Tuesday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m.
• “Lessons and carols,” Sunday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m., church. Combined choirs of “Voices of the Spirit,” Schola, cantors and CCD singers.
St. Winifred, Mount Lebanon
• Advent Taize service, Friday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m.
St. Cecilia, Rochester
• Christian Mothers Christmas party, Friday, Dec. 9, 5:30 p.m., social hall. Includes dinner, entertainment and raffle. All are welcome. For reservations, call 724-775-4796 by Dec. 3
• Concert by Beaver Valley Chorale, Sunday, Dec. 11, 4 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.
• Prison project, sponsored by youth ministry of St. Cecilia and St. Felix parishes. Youth group will make goodie bags for inmates in the Beaver County Jail. To make a donation, call Danielle at 724-775-2761 by Dec. 16.
• Presents for Patients, Sunday, Dec. 18, following 9 a.m. Mass, volunteers will be wrapping and decorating cards to send to homebound parishioners and those in local care facilities. Confirmation class will distribute them.
• Coat and blanket drive for homeless. Donations are being collected for the homeless. To make a donation, call 724-775-2761 or e-mail Anastasia.Kaye@gmail.com.
Our Lady of Fatima,
• Adult education program, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 7 p.m. “With Mary in Advent,” presented by Father Howard Campbell.
• Reconciliation service, Wednesday, Dec. 21, 7 p.m.
SS. Peter and Paul, Beaver
• Christmas play, performed by religious education department, Saturday, Dec. 17, 9 a.m., Activities Building.
• Christmas play and concert, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 7 p.m., Activities Building.
• Confessions, Thursday, Dec. 22, 7 p.m., with multiple priests available.
St. Titus, Aliquippa
• Concert, Sunday, Dec. 11, 6:30 p.m., followed by light reception in Titan Hall.
• Penance service, Saturday, Dec. 17, noon-1 p.m. Four priests will be available.
St. Christopher, Prospect
• Blessing of hunters following 4:30 p.m. Mass Saturday, Nov. 26, and following 8:30 and 11 a.m. Masses Sunday, Nov. 27.
• CCD Advent celebration of the coming of Jesus, Monday, Dec. 12, 6 p.m.
• Communal penance service, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 4 p.m.
St. Ferdinand, Cranberry Township
• Advent tour of church, Thursday, Dec. 1, 1 and 7:30 p.m. Open invitation to all to come and visit the church, and learn about its history and meaning of the symbols of faith. Also, includes a few surprises relating to the celebration of Advent. For more information, call Barb at 724-776-1357.
• Christmas cookies for the homeless, Tuesday, Dec. 6, 10 a.m., and 1 and 7 p.m., kitchen. Volunteers are welcome to come and make cookies for the homeless.
St. Fidelis, Lyndora/
• “The Christmas Story,” put on by children of the parish, Sunday, Dec. 18, 1 p.m. Lunch will be served at noon. This is a re-enactment of events that changed the world, starting with the Annunciation and visitation, to the celebration of the Nativity and adoration of the shepherds and magi.
Holy Sepulcher, Glade Mills
• School’s Christmas band concert, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 7 p.m.
• Penance service, Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m.
St. Mary of the Assumption,
• Penance service, Tuesday, Dec. 6, 7 p.m.
St. Michael, Butler
• Vigil Mass for the feast of the Immaculate Conception, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 4 p.m.
• Mass, for feast of Immaculate Conception, Thursday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m.
St. Paul, Butler
• Vigil Mass for feast of the Immaculate Conception, Wednesday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m.
• Mass for feast of the Immaculate Conception, Thursday, Dec. 8, 8 a.m.
• Holy hour for peace, Monday, Dec. 12, 7-8 p.m.
• Christmas party for children of the parish, sponsored by the Catholic Women and Christian Mothers, Saturday, Dec. 17, 1-3:30 p.m., Glenn Hall.
• Penance service, Monday, Dec. 19, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
• Divine Mercy holy hour, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 7-8 p.m.
St. Peter, Butler
• Mass for feast of the Immaculate Conception, Thursday, Dec. 8, noon.
St. Hugh, Carmichael
Our Lady of Consolation, Nemacolin
All at St. Hugh Church
• Eucharistic adoration, Friday, Dec. 2, noon-3 p.m.
• Eucharistic adoration, in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe for all life issues, Monday, Dec. 12, 12:30-3 p.m. Mass will be celebrated at noon.
• Christmas pageant with children in the CCD program, Monday, Dec. 12, 5:30 p.m.
• Reconciliation service for the CCD program, Monday, Dec. 12, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
• Reconciliation service, Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m. Five priests will be available.
Holy Redeemer, Ellwood City
• Eucharistic holy hour, with the sacrament of penance available, Tuesdays, Nov. 30, and Dec. 7 and 21, 7-8 p.m.
• “Praying Advent in Color,” Wednesday, Dec. 7, 7 p.m., Catholic Center,
• Adult education program, “Now and at the Hour of Our Death,” Monday, Dec. 12, 7-8:30 p.m., Catholic Center. Presented by Father Zach Galiyas. The talk will look at what medical care is morally necessary, and what is only optional. Attendees will be provided with a living will that has been approved by the Catholic Church. To register, call 724-758-4411 by Friday, Dec. 9.
St. Alphonsus, McDonald
• Holy hour and Benediction, Wednesdays, Nov. 30 and Dec. 21, 7 p.m.
Immaculate Conception, Washington
• Advent vespers and Benediction, Sunday, Nov. 27, Dec. 4, 11 and 18, 7 p.m.
• La Posada (Mexican Christmas tradition), Saturday, Dec. 10, 10 am., JFK Catholic Middle School.
• Reconciliation service, Thursday, Dec. 15, 7 p.m., Sacred Heart Church in Claysville, and Monday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m., Immaculate Conception Church.
Our Lady of Miraculous Medal, Meadow Lands
• Advent message presentation series, “Back to the Future.” During all Sunday Masses of Advent, attendees will be taken back in time to visit the people of Israel before the first coming of Jesus and will learn how they prepared for his first coming. Next will be a return to the present with special presentations, to put into action all things learned, to better prepare for his second coming. Special “Back to the Future” presentations schedule: Sunday, Nov. 27, 6-8 p.m., church hall, “Changes in the Church in the First Half of the 20th Century”; and Sunday, Dec. 4, 6-8 p.m., “The Story of Our European Ancestors and Their Witness Today.”
• Confessions, Wednesdays, 6:45-7:30 p.m., Saturdays, 4-4:45 p.m.